Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 500 rigging question  Bottom

• Hi! This is my first time posting here. I hope I am doing it correctly.
    I was hoping to get some help on how to rig a Nacra 500 sport. My particular problem is getting the tack on the jib rigged appropriately as well as the rigging of the spinnaker. I am befuddled and frustrated. I am located in Rehoboth Beach, DE (if anybody is close). I would love pics, videos, or any other help. Thanks a bunch in advanced.
  • I owned one of these for ten years and hated the factory jib rigging system. Can't comment on the spinnaker. At the apex of the bridle was a fitting like a shroud adjuster with a tab welded onto it. The tack of the jib is shackled to that tab. There are two problems with this; First, the jib leads have no fore and aft adjustment. You can get some adjustment by using one of the three holes in the clew plate but for me it was not enough. A slight difference in the height of the tack will give you all adjustment you need but that tab is fixed. Second, the factory system makes it extremely hard to get proper rig tension. Get rid of that fitting and put a bow shackle on the end of the headstay and take a piece of 3/16ths line and loop it around between the bow shackle and whatever fitting you have on the apex of the bridle and you'll have purchase to easily tighten the rig. Tie off with a few half hitches and use the tailing end to attach to your jib tack at whatever height it takes to get those sheet leads to pull toward the center of effort on your jib.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Hi Bill. Thanks for the response. I would expect the apex of the brindle to have an area for the tack of the jib. Having the spinnaker pole complicates things quite a bit. I was hoping for pics, videos, diagrams to help with the correct rigging. I am more of a visual learner. Thanks again for your response and help, but I am still confused.
  • When I bought my 500 back in '06 it came with an owners manual that showed everything with detailed photos. Perhaps you can access it on line. Never the less using a "Portuguese Turnbuckle" still applies, especially if you're by yourself.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • This is a timely post as I'm having a similar problem. I purchased an RS 16 XL. After raising the rig I’m completely confounded by a complication with the forward stays that hold the Jib/forestay and Spinnaker pole in place. These two sets of stays .. one pair reaching to the end of the spinnaker pole from the ends of the striker bar, and the other pair reaching up towards the base of the furler/forestay, also from the ends of the striker bar, are battling each other, causing either the spinnaker stays to be 2 -3 inches short or causing the furler/forestay stays to sag and inch or two. Neither one of these looks right. I would expect both of these stays to fit snugly. In addition the rig’s setup is different from the guidance provided in the assembly manual. Not sure if that’s due to necessity, or performance modifications, when it was first assembled last year by the original owner. Any help or guidance here would be greatly appreciated. This is my first Cat. Sailed the past 3 decades on my J24, J29 and J92. So I have lots of sailing and rigging experience but scratching my head over this. Unfortunately there is next to nothing online about this specific boat.
  • This is a timely post as I'm having a similar problem. I purchased an RS 16 XL. After raising the rig I’m completely confounded by a complication with the forward stays that hold the Jib/forestay and Spinnaker pole in place. These two sets of stays .. one pair reaching to the end of the spinnaker pole from the ends of the striker bar, and the other pair reaching up towards the base of the furler/forestay, also from the ends of the striker bar, are battling each other, causing either the spinnaker stays to be 2 -3 inches short or causing the furler/forestay stays to sag and inch or two. Neither one of these looks right. I would expect both of these stays to fit snugly. In addition the rig’s setup is different from the guidance provided in the assembly manual. Not sure if that’s due to necessity, or performance modifications, when it was first assembled last year by the original owner. Any help or guidance here would be greatly appreciated. This is my first Cat. Sailed the past 3 decades on my J24, J29 and J92. So I have lots of sailing and rigging experience but scratching my head over this. Unfortunately there is next to nothing online about this specific boat. AndyO
  • Hey guys, Nacra doesn't have a great rigging guide for the 500, but the RS manual actually has a good diagram which is similar to the Nacra 500 on page 32 here https://www.rssailing.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/RS_cat_16_Rigging_Manual_V9-2.pdf
    Both the Nacra and RS cats use a halyard that pulls up and then once you get towards the end you should tie a trucker's hitch, run some purchase and tension the end of the halyard into the clamcleat on the sail. The RS Cat uses a rope to attach to the furler, but with the Nacra you can use a shackle or rope. Personally, just like on a Hobie 18 or 20, after cleating off the end of the halyard I would cut the halyard and leave it just long enough to tension when up, when you go to drop you can tie the two piece back together, or you can get sister clips like Murrays Marine sells for the Hobie halyards.
    If you have the locking hook and ring on the 500 you can look at page 41 of the Nacra Evolution Manual https://www.nacrasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Assembly-Manual-F18-Evolution.pdf which is the latest manual and there is this video... www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk9FHep6qkA&t=150s
    Hope that helps, send me an email todd@nacrasailing.com or todd@rssailing.com if you have more questions.
  • Hello All. I'm going to tackle this again tonight. Hopefully I'll make some progress.
  • I truly appreciate the help! I am optimistic the links provided can elucidate the mystery of the spinnaker/jib rigging. Why does life need to be so complicated? I just wanna go sailing. Probably should of just gotten a Hobie 16. icon_smile

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.