Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Summer in ME, NH, VT, upstate NY  Bottom

• I will be traveling this summer with my family in my travel trailer from FL to the Northeastern US. Last week of June I will be in upstate NY for a family event. The rest of the summer is wide open.

I would like to pick the communities brain for locations to "homebase" out of. Here is a list of requirements:
    1) Access to rental fleet of any type.
    2) Access to youth sailing camp (14 years old, very experienced)
    3) Lake or Ocean access does not matter.
    4) Club access is nice but not required.

Bonus for available parking of 25 ft camper with full hookups.

Thanks in advance,
    Brad in Jacksonville
    2x Stiletto 27s (one for sale soon)
  • Upstate NY is a big place. Where are you going to be specifically?

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • dssaakUpstate NY is a big place. Where are you going to be specifically?

Oswego, NY but that is family week. No sailing for me! Then Acadia National Forest and Bar Harbor ME for July 4th weekend.

Edited by bradinjax on May 04, 2021 - 07:23 PM.
  • Yes, I would consider that Upstate. I am glad you didn't say Westchester. icon_wink

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • Ha! Nope, the large family I married into are mostly in Ithaca and Syracuse. A bit in Rochester. So Oswego is good middle ground.

In my perfect world I could find a lake or oceanfront bit of property to buy or rent in the NE that is very sailing friendly. Then I could park my camper in the summer. Not a campground. FL is too crazy stupid uncomfortable June to Sept.

I have traveled extensively but I grew up in the Northeast. I love ME and like NH. Very open to other suggestions.

In the end, it is about the sailing.

Brad.....Aaaaaayuuuup, cant get there from here.
  • I would say call around Lake George and see if there are any places on the lake that can accommodate and other large lakes too.
  • Only campsites on Lake George are NYS Parks and they do not have hookups. Best LG campground in my opinion is Rogers Rock but recently people are having difficulties keeping cats on the beach.

James
  • I have property on a 180 acre pond in central Maine, the property is undeveloped with no hookups, but you can park there for free if you want, there is a dock with 1800Watts of solar on it, you could plug in everything but ac from the inverter. nearest boat fleet is around 30 minutes away. pond is big enough for a sunfish or laser, cats are too fast. let me know if you have any interest and we can talk details.
  • I grew up down the road from Ithaca and spent a lot of time on Seneca Lake. But I started sailing out of Burlington, VT and that area would be my first choice. The Community Sailing Center there might be of interest to you. I think Burlington covers all four of your points and then some.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • jloobyOnly campsites on Lake George are NYS Parks and they do not have hookups. Best LG campground in my opinion is Rogers Rock but recently people are having difficulties keeping cats on the beach.

James

Rogers rock is hit and miss. Last year we encountered a bit of difficulty keeping our I20 on the beach, but in the end we worked it out with the ranger. Really strange that there is no fixed policy. Some years we have cats all over the NYS campground beaches and other years certain rangers want to make their own rules. We will be at rogers over memorial weekend and hopefully it will be smooth. I am not aware of any place in upstate that rents
    sailboats. I agree that Lake George and Lake Champlain are good sailing destinations.

Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Hobie Fleet 204 (Oneida Lake) is very active and has a bunch of nice folks (including some damn good sailors). They could probably offer some local intel if that interests you.
    https://www.facebook.com/…-Center-107382817457630/

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Brad,

The best summer sailing in that part of the world, without any hesitation, is in Rhode Island. Between Bristol and Newport, you're made...plenty of runway for fast cats and storage can usually be found. The F18 summer series this year will be EPIC! There are lots of clubs with advanced youth sailing programs, check this out: https://club420.org/

The other option is out on Cape Cod, but the beaches are jammed up on the weekends so you have to pre-negotiate a launch. Weekday sailing is easier than weekends.

NH, there has been some F18 racing in Portsmouth, the town is accomodating for catamaran launching. Maine is also more laid back, especially north of Portland and AWAY from Bar Harbor.

-Sam
  • Thanks all! Some great ideas here and definitely some areas I will have to do more research but I greatly appreciate the insight. The more I look at Burlington, VT area the more I like it.

I am a bit overwhelmed at the kindness and generosity from people offering places to park my camper. Thanks for all the PMs

Brad in Jax
    2x Stiletto 27, one for sale soon
  • If you are in Burlington for July 10th weekend, you should come over to Plattsburgh for the Mayor's Cup Regatta. I am sure it is 40+ years for the race. Non-Covid years there is a whole festival to include music, food, 5k, Bicycle race, etc., etc. with events from Thursday to Sunday. Fingers crossed we are back to normal this year.

We are doing the Statue of Liberty race on the 4th and then head north to Plattsburgh the next day. We will be there with the cats for the whole week leading up to the race. Always a great time.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • brettdeylingI have property on a 180 acre pond in central Maine, the property is undeveloped with no hookups, but you can park there for free if you want, there is a dock with 1800Watts of solar on it, you could plug in everything but ac from the inverter. nearest boat fleet is around 30 minutes away. pond is big enough for a sunfish or laser, cats are too fast. let me know if you have any interest and we can talk details.

This sounds promising. PM sent....

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.