Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P19 swarmed by bees in Mug Race  Bottom

• So some local guys on a P19 got towed in and as the story went around it was hard to believe. When the wind dropped in the middle of the race an entire hive of bees swarmed the top of their mast and wouldn't leave. They jumped in the water to hide and then capsized the boat to try and get rid of them but then they just started swarming the shroud. Apparently a bee keeper was called to assist and the whole tow into the finish the bees were still on the boat with them... They took a lower quality video and a photo which I uploaded.

Something to keep in mind when you think your race is going bad...it''s probably not as bad as bees lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otRhLDTdQWI

https://i.ibb.co/S3SfGxx/20210502-191717636-i-OS.jpg
  • wow. i think it's great they wanted to take the bees go for a sail

we need to do everything we can to assist the bees these days

Edited by MN3 on May 03, 2021 - 02:17 PM.
  • Amazing, just when you think you've seen (and done) everything that can go wrong during a race!

When bees swarm the queen is looking for a new home, it's something watching a beekeeper round them up. Once he gets the queen they all follow. I know a local beekeeper and he's always reminding people to call him if they see a swarm. Free bees for him!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • poor bees, just looking for somewhere to go, but instead they get dunked in the water
  • If that isn't the craziest damn thing... Well, at least we now know that the bees know: The place to be is on the wire.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • I thought I’d seen it all when a nest of just fledged purple martins landed on my sail & stays. Their housing is on my dock, & just after I left for a leisurely light wind cruise, they all launched from their house. The new fledglings, quickly tiring on their first flight saw something familiar, (they can see the boat from their gourd), & landed. I slowly went into irons, & after a brief rest they left.
    The good thing about swarming honey bees is they are not aggressive, as they are not defending a territory.
    A neighbor a few houses down the lake has bees. When they went to swarm, he simply walked out, sans any protective equipment, & “rounded them up”, & moved them into a new hive, which he relocated.
    I know I would not be that cavalier.

Edited by Edchris177 on May 05, 2021 - 02:32 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • It’s quite clear what happen

They had a sweet ride

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.