Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach retrieval winch system -will it survive sand?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Low tide retrieval is tough due to steepness. We have to go up 5 feet in 30 feet. Not fun. Trying a new system, a good 2 speed manual trailer winch, fitted with 75 feet of 1/8 inch Dyneema. Anchor post at top. Line is rated much higher than pulling force.

My concern is sand dragged in will mess things up. Line is uncovered. Some sand will be dry, some wet.

Would a series of brushes similiar to those used on bandsaws to ckean chips off the wheel or like whisker biscuit used on compound bows, be effective in shedding sand?

Its the beach so sand will get in. I would be happy to get 5 seasons out of it.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Winch is a Dutton

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Winch/Dutton-Lainson/DL14730.html?feed=npn&msclkid=1683d21816e81d63b2b2b2926dba666b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20%7C%20Shop%20-%20Trailer%20Winch&utm_term=4577885383820768&utm_content=Brake%20Hand%20Winch

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • couldn't you just rinse it off after use?

How about a harbor freight elec winch (or better) ? you could mount it to the trailer or whatever
    I have one i use occasionally to pull my trailer in my back yard. i made a base for it and have tree augers cemented in my yard to secure my cats in weather that i secure it to

I know others use one attached to a homemade base tied to a tree for the exact thing you are doing

I have also seen others use them for mast stepping
    I will say my cheap one has a terrible duty cycle rate and will overheat quickly - i plan to bipass the fuse and put a real 30 amp fuse on it
  • I am with MN3 on this. Rinse after use. 1/8 dyneema is cheap enough. It will fray over time but will be plenty strong. Another thought is occasionally plucking the line like a guitar string to clean as you winch. How are you keeping the bows up and the boat going straight? Small bridle off the tangs?

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Something that might work for you is a simple bicycle chain cleaner. These can be filled with water and clamped around the rope. As the rope is pulled through, it will contact several brushes that should knock sand off the rope. Empty the container and put it away for the next time.

https://www.amazon.com/Pa…vtargid=pla-850193981209

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Plucking and chain cleaner are good ideas.

I initially picked up an inexpensive ATV winch for this, but its so slow that it isnt worth using. Its geared way down for power.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Quote initially picked up an inexpensive ATV winch for this, but its so slow that it isnt worth using. Its geared way down for power.

I was looking into the same thing for my club. We deduced that a 1:2 or 1:3 block system to an anchor would get the speed to bearable. We never built anything. Just sail with friends.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I have to deal with a similar situation. The manual winch on my trailer gets plenty of sand on the drum and I've been using it for three years. Unless the sand is fine and free from rocks and shells I would be more concerned about wear on the hulls. I put down big fenders and let the hulls slide on them, the only thing is depending on your hull shape, you'll have to move them a few times during the winching process.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • i used 4" water pipe (green pvc) this past thanksgiving to get my little power boat up the island
    worked well and better than white pvc (they scrapped up very quickly)

I agree the atv winch is pretty slow but i use it for about 30'
    better than a hernia - ymmv

Quote 1:2 or 1:3 block

I thought about a block system too

I even thought about setting up a few tree augers in my yard that i could attach my main blocks to in conjunction with the winch. never set it up
  • Are you using Cat Trax or other beach wheels? Makes a world of difference in wrestling around these boats.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • This is with Cat Trax and saddles. Ita just steep.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Would a self tailing sheet winch and a drill motor adaptor do the trick? Then you're dealing with line and an external drum that doesn't store the line.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I've researched this for my H18 when I have it at the beach and I would go with:
    https://www.amazon.com/La…ch&qid=1620669220&sr=8-5

There would be some sort of anchor system involved, but this little electric winch looks nice.

--
    Tim Young
    Hobie 18' + other stuff that floats and goes.
    Kentucky
    --
  • that looks perfect if it is marine grade
  • MN3that looks perfect if it is marine grade

I reached out the manufacturer when I was doing my research. They claim that critical parts are "sealed" and this winch was in use in sandy environments. Of course, we all know what sand and salt water does to stuff. Best try to keep it clean as possible and out of the environment when possible.

When I was in Seagrove FL, I had to bring my H18 to the "toe of the dune" each night and it was a long way. Took wife & kids to get it moved on the soft sand, even on my beach wheels! That's what started my research. Going back to the water on the beach wheels was easy!

--
    Tim Young
    Hobie 18' + other stuff that floats and goes.
    Kentucky
    --
  • I hate to say it, but the gas powered one looks to be the ticket.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • Max. line speed on that ($350.) 48 volt portable winch is listed at 5.5' /minute.
    So best case, if you're doing straight pull, it's going to take ~6 minutes to traverse the 30'.

I got a Harbor Freight 12v electric winch (2000#) for $59., which included a wireless remote control!
    I needed to pull 35', so similar distance as you. Line speed is just too slow.
    My current solution is similar to you: 2-speed manual winch; But I took the handle off, and modified it to use a cordless drill; MUCH faster than I can crank it.
  • This guy right here with a 5/8" socket on my drill - https://www.amazon.com/Dutton-Lainson-Company-WG2000HEX-Winch-Drive/dp/B00LKWYX4Q/ref=sr_1_6?crid=U0BMKGTY8AIX&dchild=1&keywords=dutton+lainson+winch&qid=1620737050&sprefix=dutton%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6

Works great. You could even rig a 1:2 purchase and pull it up faster.
  • At 40:1 you are definitely going to want a big drill motor. I used to use the same method in low budget theatrical installations for hauling pipe battens over stages.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • 20v Ryobi works fine. Put it on drill/high speed. The load is insignificant.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.