Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spinnaker Sailing a Getaway  Bottom

• Looking at buying a new Getaway for the family. Coming from a Hobie18 and 21SE I'll be looking to boost performance of Getaway by adding Hobie's spinnaker kit. My main question is what point of sail can the spinnaker be used? I see some diagrams showing an asymmetrical spinnaker can be used 80-150 degrees off the wind, is this accurate for a beachcat spin, particularly the one for the getaway? Is the spin on a beachcat regularly used for reaching or only when going more downwind?
  • forget a spinnaker - use one of these "portable downwind wind catchers"
    https://media.hobie.com/digital_asset_profiles/hobie-alter-beach-umbrella-surf_8_jpg_1200x9999__generated.jpg

Kidding aside: "My main question is what point of sail can the spinnaker be used? "
    depends on the cut but reaching is more for screechers and code zero type sails

this is based on 2010 sail tech - i am not more current that that but I own an Olympic Tornado prototype spinnaker that was tested for the 2008 Olympics. lots of teams were testing spins that could reach higher but i don't think they were utilized

(we used to get used olympic and other race tornado sails from Red Gear Racing)
    i don't think any team had success with these
  • dup

Edited by MN3 on Jan 08, 2021 - 12:53 PM.
  • The Hobie spin kit marketed for the H16/Getaway works reasonably well on the H16 with appropriate crew weight. With regard to the Getaway, others with more spin experience will likely have better informed opinions, but a few of things to think about....

The Getaway is significantly heavier than the H16....not to mention 'the family.' The H16 also has more sail area in the main and jib. I can't imagine that a spin of the same size and cut could perform very well on the Getaway. I expect the slower boat speed (apparent wind further aft) would require you to sail much higher to keep the spin from stalling in anything but a blow.....so high that it would be difficult to keep the luff full.

The associated time/effort inherent with spinnaker rigging, taping fittings, etc. is not what I'd call family friendly, particularly if you have to trailer the boat to sail.

Will the spin negate passenger use of the forward tramp on the Getaway?

If it were me, I'd find someone with hands on experience, under your planned conditions, and using that particular kit on the Getaway before shelling out the 20 boat bucks!

Good luck...

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • A Getaway with spi sounds a bit odd to me, it’s a family boat, safe, very simple to rig and sail. Adding a spi defies all these benefits to make it faster or more sporty. Why are you choosing this particular boat? Or what was inconvenient with the 21SE for your needs? Just curious, not my intention to question your idea.
  • My kids are turning 3 and 5 so the 21 is a bit much to handle with them on board, I figured until they get older the Getaway would be fun and safe. Also the setup and trailering is 21 is a deal breaker, I had originally planned to dry sail it but cost isn’t worth it with how little free time I have to go sailing. Also with quick rigging of Getaway I could run over to local lake (small) for a few hours which would never have been worth it with the 21.

Now my reasons for the SPI... I’ve sailed the getaway a few times on vacation and was impressed with its performance when the wind was up but on light days it was a bit of a drag. We rent a beach house every summer where I can leave boat setup, I figured the SPI would be good for the light air days. Or anytime I take a day off from work and want to push the boat with a buddy. I came across a post years ago that said “Jeremy at Surf City has a SPI kit that really gets the getaway going”. I assumed this was the Hobie kit... maybe he has a sail better cut for the Getaway.

I guessing I’m trying to make the Getaway into two boats... my wife has a one boat policy for the backyard so don’t put any ideas in my head... lol.

Last year before I sold the H18 I put the rig on the 21 and it was just about perfect for my needs, other than the 10’ trailer width and no front tramp. The 21SC is probably the perfect boat but impossible to find.
  • Quote A Getaway with spi sounds a bit odd to me, it’s a family boat, safe, very simple to rig and sail. Adding a spi defies all these benefits to make it faster or more sporty. Why are you choosing this particular boat? Or what was inconvenient with the 21SE for your needs? Just curious, not my intention to question your idea.

I agree that it is unusual to put a spin on a getaway but I don't see anything wrong with adding a spin

a spin can add a lot of speed, excitement and fun for downwind sailing despite the platform (within limits, i don't think one on a opti is a great idea, but heck they put foils on an opti ....)
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UokOO60dsMU/maxresdefault.jpg

With wings and a front tramp the spin sheets and spar shouldn't be in the way and down wind sailing in 4 knots in the summer can be brutal (esp here in florida). Add a spin and you can spice that up a bunch
  • Bottom line is that family conditions your boat choices.. In my case I didn’t add a spi to my N5.5 because I though it was too much to handle for my daughters or wife and because of the extra rigging time. Not complaining.
  • I sail inshore, shallow bays that restrict where/when i can even use it
    i haven't rigged/used my spins in 2 or 3 years now

i am not sailing all that much these days and the extra rigging time, halyard/tackline, spin sheets, additional deck spaghetti just aren't worth the few chances i had to use it. But i sure do miss it when the conditions call for it and the water levels/traffic allow it
  • Yes, having a spi doesn’t mean that you are forced to rig it and sail it, very true. Still about the choice of a Getaway, if I was in a similar situation I’d probably choose a Nacra 570, it’s almost as simple but more sporty. With respect to sailing with small kids, safety is a bit compromised perhaps but on a very narrow range. On moderate to strong winds I would’t sail with kids too young, even on a Getaway. Buoyancy is a plus for the Getaway, but for a family of 4, kids under 10, the N570 would take all four well. Beyond that, depending on the total weight, it may be less than ideal but chances are that you will be sailing less than all four more and more anyway.

Edited by Andinista on Jan 10, 2021 - 08:59 AM.
  • For sure get it!
    Our family just sold our getaway which we put the spi on it when it was first marketed towards the getaway. It definitely added speed and excitement to the boat. On light wind days it would make downwind sailing "faster" but still as you mention the boat is still a drag to sail in light winds.
    We used to trailer it every day before getting a slip on our local lake. It was rather easy to rig maybe added 10-15mins to overall set up time. One thing we had to do was cut our forward mast support in half and made a hinge so it could be lowered easily and get out of way of the SPI pole.
    The front tramp does become more clutter and not as enjoyable when SPI is set up but can be left at home on days when having a relaxing sail day.
  • Going from a 21 to a Getaway will be a very big change. You might try going back to an 18. That is what I did. I started trailer sailing again and the 21SE was to much setup time especially with just wife and small kids to help.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • MN3forget a spinnaker - use one of these "portable downwind wind catchers"
    https://media.hobie.com/digital_asset_profiles/hobie-alter-beach-umbrella-surf_8_jpg_1200x9999__generated.jpg

Kidding aside: "My main question is what point of sail can the spinnaker be used? "

this is based on 2010 sail tech - i am not more current that that but I own an Olympic Tornado prototype spinnaker that was tested for the 2008 Olympics. lots of teams were testing spins that could reach higher but i don't think they were utilized

MN3forget a spinnaker - use one of these "portable downwind wind catchers"

To be clear, the reason these spinnakers were developed is the venue for the Olympics that year was slated to be particularly light. Turns out it was breeze-on the entire week, and the U.S team that elected to use their code-zero esque reaching kite got creamed in all but 1 race where they could make the kite work upwind. Also, in light conditions the N17 kite is flat enough to work upwind, but the class banned it for several reasons, not the least of which is spinnaker life degrades rapidly when using it at tighter angles.

Edited by samc99us on Feb 10, 2021 - 07:43 PM.
  • Quote To be clear, the reason these spinnakers were developed is the venue for the Olympics that year was slated to be particularly light. Turns out it was breeze-on the entire week, and the U.S team that elected to use their code-zero esque reaching kite got creamed in all but 1 race where they could make the kite work upwind. Also, in light conditions the N17 kite is flat enough to work upwind, but the class banned it for several reasons, not the least of which is spinnaker life degrades rapidly when using it at tighter angles.

thanks for the backstory
  • QuoteLast year before I sold the H18 I put the rig on the 21 and it was just about perfect for my needs, other than the 10’ trailer width and no front tramp. The 21SC is probably the perfect boat but impossible to find.

Impossible to find Hobie SC in NC

https://www.facebook.com/…&referral_code=undefined

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • pknapp66
    QuoteLast year before I sold the H18 I put the rig on the 21 and it was just about perfect for my needs, other than the 10’ trailer width and no front tramp. The 21SC is probably the perfect boat but impossible to find.

Impossible to find Hobie SC in NC

Thanks! I inquired about it.

Edited by car_guy on Feb 12, 2021 - 05:24 PM.
  • Here is a cheap getaway.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.