Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

reboarding aid  Bottom

• This has been discussed several times, I use a system like this one but have an idea for a simpler solution: I have an eyestrap on the mast, about 70 cm or so above the base, for the jibsheet jam preventer, I'll just hang a line with knots from there, with a bungee takeaway under the tramp, to pull myself aboard. Maybe step on the the dolphin striker with the knee or with a foot against the hull. Unfortunately I cannot go sailing yet, what do you think?
  • QuoteI'll just hang a line with knots from there, with a bungee takeaway under the tramp, to pull myself aboard. Maybe step on the the dolphin striker with the knee or with a foot against the hull.

many people don't have the upper body strength do pull them self up a rope after righting a cat. if you can get 1/2 way up and swing a foot up the beam sure - but my front beam is way too high for this.

I have bad memories of being cold and wet and weighed down with wet gear and exhausted from a rough righting .. and unable to get up from the front beam

the main problem is getting a footing that doesn't duck under you boat

a dolphin striker would be perfect if it wasn't such an integral part of your boat and a strong person can probably break one by using it as a ladder

I used to grab a trap wire t handle and swing a foot up, then my torso and other foot (have wings on currently)

Edited by MN3 on Aug 21, 2020 - 02:22 PM.
  • QuoteI used to grab a trap wire t handle and swing a foot up, then my torso and other foot (have wings on currently)

Yes, I was thinking of that too, I I never thought of it when on the water. But having knots on a rope may be a significant difference I think. Yes your are full of stuff and heavy but you "weight" less on the water so climbing up a limited distance should not be that hard. We'll see.
  • SImple test:
    bring crew - throw them overboard
    offer them a rope with knots and test

once back aboard, throw them off again and don't offer the rope with knots ... offer a t-handle

yes
  • I'll bring my mother in law, maybe she fails one of the tests...
  • prost
  • I had this idea several years ago that never went any further than being an idea, but.... if you took the basic righting pole that many people now seem to use and added a couple bike, motorcyle pegs to each side of it. Presumably, when the boat was righted and the pole was then pointing straight down, you could pretty easily grab the front crossbar/mast and climb up the righting pole as a ladder. Again, never tried it, but seems like something that might work reasonably well.

sm
  • Grab trap line handle. Throw leg onto deck. Pull up. It's crazy how easy that move is compared to every other way.
  • traphappyGrab trap line handle. Throw leg onto deck. Pull up. It's crazy how easy that move is compared to every other way.

This tech can be seen at the end of this video i just posted on another thread - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ajtJfs-Sc
  • MN3
    traphappyGrab trap line handle. Throw leg onto deck. Pull up. It's crazy how easy that move is compared to every other way.

This tech can be seen at the end of this video i just posted on another thread - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ajtJfs-Sc

Yes that works but I’ve had cases where the boat start sailing because the tiller got jammed somehow, so going under the hull to the other side may not work. Traphappy did you mean the same but from the front beam? (I bet you are happy either way...)
  • QuoteYes that works but I’ve had cases where the boat start sailing because the tiller got jammed somehow,

on one of my worst days: I recovered once from a capsize and my main sheet had wrapped around my travler/mainblocks ( multiple wraps) and i took of like a rocket, right at a pier. i missed it by inches by the time i untangled my main and unsheeted

i learned my jib should be furled or completely free and my main should be unhooked (off the boom) or completely free and travler paid out before righting (and on anchor) to prevent a ghost boat situation (again)

and yes, i know my rudders will fall down during righting .. so i can't take any chances
  • My worst day was pretty scary too, one rudder came off because the bottom split ring of the pin was missing. So the steering got locked just in the right angle to keep the boat sailing straight, at a decent speed. there was no way I could pull myself from the front beam so I tried to reach the rear beam but I couldn’t hold and was left behind, but then the main sheet wrapped around my ancle and dragged me. I could barely breathe and fortunately the line came off of my feet after a while. no way I could reach my foot, so it could have been bad. I ended up exhausted. The boat was rescued by a sailor that jumped on board from a powerboat. One of the mistakes I made was not releasing the downhaul, which kept the main with some shape that I believe made the boat sail considerably faster.
  • Wow. I thought I was just really not with it when, after a capsize I had a tougher time getting back on. I climbed my DS assembly, BTW. However my crew couldn't be brought back on board for the life of us. He's probably 2 bucks and a half... Had to board a jet ski first; I couldn't haul him up. Now I understand It's not JUST that I'm that out of shape...which correcting would help...

First thing I do is throw out a drift anchor and uncleat everything, etc. Didn't think about detaching main. That's a good idea and one pin. The drift anchor was awesome. It immediately Turned the bows to wind and slowed everything WAY down into slow motion. I won't go without it now. A ghost boat is kind of a real fear of mine. That and inexperienced crew should I go over... Not sure how to work in a boarding rope into the righting pole...but that seems reasonable.

Edited by charlescarlis on Aug 22, 2020 - 11:49 PM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I wouldn’t count that the righting pole stays vertical and help you step on the boat, with some sort of steps
    or rope on it. I will probably swing back.
  • Nah, the pole swings back automatically, so needs to be something else...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • An alternative solution:

Splice a large loop onto your righting line end, big enough to easily get your foot (boot) into it. When you get wet, pull the line out and wrap it around the base of your mast a few times so that it is low enough to help you stand up in it. This foot loop can also be used when righting the cat. The spliced loop needs to be constructed without any twists, so that the loop stays open and easy to use.

On an uncomfortable side note, I employed this solution after I went from first to last place in an ocean race because I could not get back on the boat fast enough. From the water, I got to watch nearly a dozen competitors pass me by, and I still remember my crew's disappointed face. My point is that the most important factor in getting back on board is your physical condition. Having gadgets helps, but you have to posses the strength to muscle your way up in whatever garb you are strapped into.

Practice your chosen solution. Just having it is not enough.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.