Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need Help Assessing a Hobie 16  Bottom

• Hello All,
    I want to get back into catting after 30+ years away.
    I found a Hobie 16 only a mile from my house in Gaithersburg, MD.

It has been sitting for what looks like 2 years and needs to be power washed. Somebody used it and then just forgot about it. The battens have been in the sails, so there were some small tears on the mast side of the sail. The screws holding the plates at the bottom and top of the main sail have rotted away, but the sail beneath seemed in good shape. That's fairly minor, no?

I pressed down on the hulls with both hands and most of my weight and didn't feel any obvious soft spots. Is there a better way to test for this?

All the non metal rigging is rotten and needs to be replaced, but the stays and cleats and blocks were OK.

My main concern is the hulls. Can somebody advise me on the best test for them?

As near as I can tell, it's a mid 80s boat. It has a sticker on the trailer "'87 Fleet 32"

My feeling is that the bones of this boat are good and she's worth restoring to her original glory. But I'd like some second opinions.

Thanks Much!
    Ron

--
    Yes, that's my real name
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Best bet is to get some knowledgeable help to evaluate in person. May be contact a nearby fleet? http://hcana.hobieclass.com/hobie-fleets/

Main: Small tears are usually okay with a little repair tape.....then make sure battens are properly installed/secured so they can't get loose and poke through again. Tack and head plates can be re-secured with standard Al pop rivets (not as pretty as original, but works).

Hulls: Moderate pressure with no give sounds fine. Maybe double-check the decks a foot or so forward of the front pylons. That area gets a lot of stress and is the most likely to go soft.

Model: Check the hull number on the transoms....last two numerals are the model year.

Otherwise (based solely on your description), it sounds like a typical, neglected older H16. Should be useable with some TLC. Don't forget to check the condition of the trailer (tires, bearings, lights, etc.).

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • If you are not feeling any soft spots, the hulls are probably good. Also check the keels for wear. If need be these can be repaired with some fiberglass.

I would not trust the standing rigging on a used boat, especially a neglected one. At the very least, spend 80 bucks for a new set of side shrouds. Another 100 gets you a new set of trapeze wires, although those are not carrying nearly the load. The forestay carrying the load is internal to the jib sail and is usually not an issue.

I dismasted a used boat that I wanted to take out and test before putting any money into. Also had a trapeze wire fail on an H18, dumping me in the water a mile out during a solo sail. It was a dicey situation.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • I have a set of double trap wires with bullet blocks that would probably work on a H16. They weren't long enough for my G-Cat. They've never been used. $50. If interested I'll send you a measurement. There should still be an add for them somewhere back in "parts for sail" that has their length.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Thanks for the feedback. I decided not to mess with that boat and instead bought an H17 that's in great shape with a good trailer. I hope to be chatting more in the forum with you.

--
    Yes, that's my real name
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Congrats on the H17. Sorry I missed the PM. I'll try to adjust my notifications.
    https://www.hobie.com/forums/index.php?c=2
    There is some good info to be had here.

Edited by gahamby on Jul 31, 2020 - 10:22 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.