Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Back issues  Bottom

• I'm writing this to all you older cat sailors out there. I'm 69 and have been beach cat sailing for almost 40 yrs. My first boat was a used Seaspray 15. The day after I sail, I'm really sore, especially my lower back. The only time I'm really comfortable is on the wire. Sitting on the hull, slightly bent forward with no back support is killing me. Lets face it, these boats are not comfortable. I'm thinking some kind of seat. It would have to be light, foldable and no bigger than a throwable device. Every time I change tacks it would come with me to the other side of the boat. When I'm on the wire I would fold it and stuff it under a hiking strap. Please let me know if this is a dumb idea or has anyone out there had the same issues. I will have to give up sailing soon if I don't resolve this.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Ahh the age old problem,sitting on your butt with legs out in front is not the most comfortable for sure.One of my boats is a hobie 18 with wings this is really comfortable for longer trips.I do not think you can do much about it with legs out in front the seat may work but unless you address the legs position I do not think you will have much luck.Can you install some wings on the G cat?

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • wings / trap seat is really the only solution i see

perhaps a good deal of core strengthening exercising and pre and post sailing stretching may help make a difference too

perhaps a stadium or jon boat folding seat can be attached to each hull (as i don't see tacking with a seat as practical with main, traveler and jib sheets around)

another option to keep you on the water would be to sell the beach cat and swap to another style boat with a cockpit/seat: windrider tri or weta come to mind

another option that i do is to stand in lighter winds. i hold the main and stick and will stand for extended periods. this isn't the fastest method of sailing and you will need to get back down to tack but it can provide relief

Edited by MN3 on Nov 15, 2019 - 01:46 PM.
  • I tried something like this and it didn’t work, perhaps if attached to the hull but i gave up for now.

https://www.amazon.com/20…&s=specialty-aps&sr=1-32

Edited by Andinista on Nov 15, 2019 - 04:47 PM.
  • We put wings on an 18-2 and they are the bomb. My back is way happier and it's MUCH easier to adjust weight to balance the boat on the fly. Especially for the crew. I stand and move around constantly and this relieves lumbar and sciatica issues. You and your passengers can still use them as a backrest, when you need to be inboard.

Even without wings, you could always add butt padding to yourself or the deck and wear a lumbar support belt.

A high-end trapeze harness like the ZHIK T2 comes with lumbar plates and butt padding that make things a little more comfortable, even if you never go out on the wire. Have you tried one yet?

Installing a folding stadium style seat would be easy to set up with a few padeyes and grommets, but would easily snag the sheets, tiller, etc when it's least convenient.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • At 60 I'll second the wings. Great backrest combined with a pfd long enough to cover the bit resting against the bar. Sitting on the wing is much more comfortable for my legs.
  • Post back surgery this is the reason I went back to the H17. Sitting on tramp leaning back against wings is great. Sitting up on wing is great and of course the extra leverage trapping out from wings is great.

Down the road, when in serious retirement, I'm keeping a watch on the Weta because at some point I'm sure raising a cat mast will become an issue. The Weta also allows sitting with bent knees.

James H17, F25C+
  • Do the WETA now before you are totally done with sailing!

--
    Master UniRig Sailor
    --
  • QuoteDo the WETA now before you are totally done with sailing!

Thanks everybody for your comments. I've already studied the mechanics of the wings and to adapt them and the initial purchase is too much, maybe more than my boat is worth. I'm not wild about the roto molded Hobies, they look like they're not enough boat for me but I've never sailed one. I've sailed a lot of Hobie 18's but not with wings. Not a huge fan of them either, mostly because of the dagger boards, I prefer boardless especially here in Sarasota Bay. I understand the 17 has centerboards and the size of the boat is probably more appropriate. I will look into the idea of upgrading my harness for now. In my opinion there is no comparison between the Windrider 17 and the Weta! I saw a Windrider recently stuck on a windward shore against some rocks. The skipper was having an awful time because after he got his boat pointed in the right direction he couldn't get back in the cockpit and get his feet on the rudder pedals in time. I've been interested in Wetas for a long time. True, it's got a dagger board but it's a small boat and it looks like it would only have to be partially down to sail off a windward beach. There's a guy at my sailing club older than me who never takes his out so maybe he'll get tired of paying the storage.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Found just the boat for you. I'm sweet on the H17. https://gainesville.craig…obie-cat/7019253240.html

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.