Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Soft Spot Urgency  Bottom

• I found that while sailing my P16 last weekend, my crew sat down and I heard the notorious crack associated with a soft spot. My question is simple.
    What is the urgency of a soft spot and can it wait for winter? What are the cons of putting it off?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • I wouldn't sail with a known soft spot
    too much risk of catastrophic failure
  • It will only get worse (larger) the more it is stressed. A simple epoxy injection repair can be done in an afternoon. I would not put it off.

sm
  • Alright. Thanks for the input. I had hoped to put it off for a winter project to do right with paint and all but I think I need to heed the advice and just take care of it.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Some considerations for the repair might include drilling many holes through the outer skin and foam (and not through inner skin); letting the inside really dry out well (lots of holes and sun); using West System epoxy and syringes (well worth the money). With the West System, I would use slow hardener and do the work in the morning, so the epoxy fills all voids before setting up. Mix small amounts in the container as large ones flash quickly, even with slow harder.

Edited by traphappy on Jun 10, 2019 - 11:37 PM.
  • I have seen instructions that have you inject the resin and then use screws to bring the layers together. How important is this or is it even necessary?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.