Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trapeze To Handle/Hook Line Recommendation  Bottom

• As in the heading. What type of line is recommended for the line between the shock cord and the trapeze wire handles/hooks, I’ve got dog bones and j&h styles. Thanks for any replies.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Trapeze Adjustment kit = 4x 3.5 feet (14 feet total) - 5mm FSE Sirius

Same as your down haul line.

The rope locks accept up to 6mm line.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Adjustable from the wire or non-adjustable (traditional)?
    For the traditional setup, I would probably go with straight dyneema.
    For adjustable, I would go with a dyneema core double braid.
    I would avoid the polyester lines.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Quote’ve got dog bones and j&h styles.

I don't know what j&h style you are referring to ..

regardless, is there an adjustable setup? if so your shiv diameter comes into play

I have got rid of my adjusters and am using technora tied with a rolling hitch currently.
    no blocks/cleats to replace, no HARDware in the face ....
    my dog bone has 2 spots .. i think that will be enough

I will be splicing up some non adjustable 8 strand high modulus line soon

Edited by MN3 on May 25, 2019 - 12:44 PM.
  • J&H are the large hoop style rings that are used instead of dog bones. My set up is the traditional with the line lock adjusters. Thanks for the replies. Recently got back from the beach, been outside washing down everything with fresh water. I will have to start a thread about my beach launching ordeal.

--
    Marty
    --
  • QuoteJ&H are the large hoop style rings that are used instead of dog bones.

I've always called these "can't miss" style

https://www.murrays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/01-0124.jpg

https://www.murrays.com/product/01-0124bk/
  • Same things, called “J&H” , initials of Hobie Alter’s sons who are credited in the development of the rings.

--
    Marty
    --
  • martyrSame things, called “J&H” , initials of Hobie Alter’s sons who are credited in the development of the rings.

i think i have just been schooled !

these are a little softer on teeth than the dog bones :)
  • icon_smile

--
    Marty
    --
  • Coppa 5000. Has technora in it so it doesn't chafe as badly. If you need some, ping me as I have a few spools.

Edited by samc99us on May 30, 2019 - 09:16 AM.
  • MN3
    martyr
    Same things, called “J&H” , initials of Hobie Alter’s sons who are credited in the development of the rings.

Guyz, you made me laugh.out.loud!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • MN3
    martyrSame things, called “J&H” , initials of Hobie Alter’s sons who are credited in the development of the rings.

You say that.

Just today I got the unfortunate news that one of my teeth has died from a hard-hit I took back in Feb. The ring or bungee line had gotten caught on something in a tack as I recall and got nailed in the face by it. I will certainly be exploring some other options that are softer or more lightweight that won’t quite transfer the same energy as a solid stainless ring.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • bacho
    MN3
    martyrSame things, called “J&H” , initials of Hobie Alter’s sons who are credited in the development of the rings.

You say that.

Just today I got the unfortunate news that one of my teeth has died from a hard-hit I took back in Feb. The ring or bungee line had gotten caught on something in a tack as I recall and got nailed in the face by it. I will certainly be exploring some other options that are softer or more lightweight that won’t quite transfer the same energy as a solid stainless ring.

You should look into the "key-ball" style.
    I've always preferred the stainless ring with a rubber tubing piece to keep it sticking straight out. Haven't missed yet. Ironically, I have missed with the "no miss" handles...

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • QuoteJust today I got the unfortunate news that one of my teeth has died from a hard-hit I took back in Feb. The ring or bungee line had gotten caught on something in a tack as I recall and got nailed in the face by it. I will certainly be exploring some other options that are softer or more lightweight that won’t quite transfer the same energy as a solid stainless ring.

Wow that sucks! sorry Bacho

Not sure if it is up to race standards but my friend took dyneema and threaded it through some clear rubber hosing and tied that into a loop -he made that into a "can't miss" after his gf (at that time) took one "in the face"
  • Key balls are expensive and not universal. They are also slow to unhook.

Folks knock can't miss rings but they are good enough for the Goodall team riders, relatively soft and easy to use. I like them.

My favorite setup though is the carbon block/ring system as shown here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/113104871781736070750/album/AF1QipMvkUJZQ3SPrZVNM52ofZkT_jEjzN_7EC2Us-yH/AF1QipNs5YmZ_ng_AzFT8F00idOMUptj8B0xc6TORkAd

Those get sucked up into the double roller block so the ring can't swing around. Nacra, eXploder and others have them. Murrays has em in stock.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.