Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mclube sailkote vs dupont  Bottom

• Mclube is very expensive on a amazon and was wondering if other dry lubricant options from DuPont would work as well. Looking to lube mainsail boltrope and harken traveler car.

These are the alternatives:

https://www.amazon.com/dp…ms_c_api_i_AiA4CbSTKF29Y

https://www.amazon.com/dp…ms_c_api_i_8cA4Cb3P02YYW
  • I use the straight Teflon (your first link, no silicone) anywhere I used to use McLube except on sails, where I still use the real deal.

Also, these products are not advised on traveler cars or ball bearings (blocks). That is what one drop is for, which is mostly mineral oil. McLube can eventually gum up the bearings and stop them from rolling which is very bad.
  • what is the purpose of mclube on sails? I understand for a spinnaker but what would it do for a main?
  • Make the luff slippery and the sail easier to hoist. I spray the teflon in the track and pledge the rest of the aluminum mast to give it some UV protection.
  • samc99usMake the luff slippery and the sail easier to hoist. I spray the teflon in the track and pledge the rest of the aluminum mast to give it some UV protection.

Hoisting main is primary reason for this post.

Interesting idea with the pledge, how long do you think it lasts? I was going to rattle can mast like I did on my 18, holding up well for over two years. Might pledge the crossbars as the paint chips there to easily.
  • QuoteMake the luff slippery and the sail easier to hoist.

Gotcha! Thanks

i use silicone spray or whatever is handy

Watching the teams on the nacra carbon 20's hoist last week on fb/worrell

ouch those looked tough
  • car_guyMclube is very expensive...Looking to lube mainsail boltrope and harken traveler car.
    ]

You probably already have lube for your Harken traveler... a can of Singer Sewing machine Oil, or 3 in 1 light oil.
    Harken says,”Service is required after storage, when cars have too much friction, or if balls seem to be sliding instead of rolling. Flush with fresh water and detergent, move cars back and forth to circulate the balls, and follow with high-pressure water. Clean track grooves and then use a single drop of McLubeTM OneDropTM Ball Bearing Conditioner in each ball race. Do NOT use McLube SailkoteTM as it causes balls to skid instead of roll.”
    The Harken website used to state,
    If Mclube one Drop is not available, a single drop of light machine oil, such as 3in 1, in each traveler race will suffice.

Edited by Edchris177 on May 20, 2019 - 07:32 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • car_guy
    samc99usMake the luff slippery and the sail easier to hoist. I spray the teflon in the track and pledge the rest of the aluminum mast to give it some UV protection.

Hoisting main is primary reason for this post.

Interesting idea with the pledge, how long do you think it lasts? I was going to rattle can mast like I did on my 18, holding up well for over two years. Might pledge the crossbars as the paint chips there to easily.

Pledge isn't great as a lubricant, more a surface protector. Probably about a month or so but there are a million variations to account for...

The F20C has the longest hoist height of any beachcat mainsail, but that is what ground crew is for. I can guarantee you it is easier than my F18 with no block at the bottom..
  • ~~ Ya might like this info here... The way the page comes up, ya might have to scroll it up to the top...
    https://theneiya.org/2015…e-sailors-shop/#comments
    ~ Had this stashed in my fav's

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • ~~ I should'av added you want a DRY lube. A wet lube could make your 'Bolt-rope' swell, but if ya want a swollen ''other'' bolt-rope use Astro-glide icon_biggrin

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.