Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NUB 280lb guy looking at cats for fast daysailing and camp cruising  Bottom

• I have 24 ft trailer sailer that I have to do repairs to after ripping out stanchion and backeeplates in some nice fall winds on lake. I saved the mast and sailed home on opposite tack after making a cobbled together repair.

I like fast and have thought about building a outrigger sailing canoe, I am also considering a cat as it can get me sailing tomorrow. I have looked at a gcat 5.7 and am considering a Hobie 21se with wings. I weigh 287lb at 6'3 I will sail single handed 30percebnt of time but want something I can sail with up to 3 others when just cruising around. I would love to be able to trailer from. Home lake in TN and sail out to okrakoke in NC or camp sail off tarpon springs florida( old home area).

Any input or ideas? I've been a whitewater guide for years so have used flipli es etc to right heavy upside down rafts so understand basic. Concepts of rightng. I also always wear pfd.
    Thanks
  • In my wholly biased opinion what you need is a Super Cat 19.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I have a Gcat 5.7, I am a big guy and I solo frequently as well as camp sail. I prefer a boat without boards so that is another reason I like my Gcat. Don’t know much about the Hobie other than it’s pretty heavy which will limit your launching options when short handed
  • ALL CATS ARE FAST ... relatively speaking (compared to non raceing monohulls) so i wouldn't get hung up on that too much.

as a bigger guy who wants to sail with up to 3 others .... you will need a bigger boat or you will suffer (greatly) with the weight and room issues on smaller cats

a hobie 18 w wings would work but not a great fit (8' beams vs 8.5')
    a hobie getaway w wings would fit 4 but is roto-molded and not high performance. it still can sail fast and fun so it is a good option - just not fast compared to more modern fiberglass boats (but also less maintenance and more durable)
    Hobie 20 is a tricky race boat to sail - so i wouldn't consider that one for a first time cat

Hobie 21 se is a 33' mast and really not a starter boat (if you get caught in a storm or heavy air ...)
    Hobie 21sc (with wings) is more recreational than the se model and could be a good fit but still a lot of sail area and a 600lb boat

G-cat 5.7 . is a great choice but there are many out there that are in poor shape and parts are getting harder to find
    a prindle 18 would work but about the same as a hobie 18
    prindle 19 is a rocketship and would work but has more and more controls (lines everywhere) and much more fickle to manage / sail . (the more technical the boat the harder to make it work. You can get a simple sail plan to sail even if it's all sheeted wrong, a more complex boat will not move much unless it is all set correct)

Supercat 19 is a good option but VERY heavy boat and the mast is a MONSTER (also an extremely wet boat) with boards - so if you plan to solo, this will not be an easy boat to set up and break down)

I have 2 mysteres - a 5.5 and 6.0 - these are my personal choice for a combo of racing boat (was originally the olympic training boat for the tornado's) and can be set up for non racing fun. I have custom wings on mine and lots of sail options (i own f18 sails which are much smaller that stock, i have several mains and sometimes put my 5.5 sails on my 6.0 to manage heavier air - there are a bunch of these around but not a ton. they do make new ones

A dart 20 (stampede) would be a pretty good fit but is a dog in light air (made for sailing in the north atlantic)

Edited by MN3 on May 03, 2019 - 11:18 AM.
  • I live in North Florida but sail all over the state, if you are headed to Tarpon Springs we could meet for a test sail on my 5.7. They are great boats, but do suffer from worn out condition and lack of spare parts as MN3 said
  • I'm 275 and mostly solo my H18 with wings. Great for that. 3 additional on board is doable, and okay room with the wings. A great starter boat and a ton of fun solo.
  • Quote if you are headed to Tarpon Springs we could meet for a test sail on my 5.7.

That is a very nice offer!
  • Crew weight is a very big concern when sailing a catamaran, much more than on any other kind of sail craft. You can alter your course by moving weight around the deck/trampoline. Lots of weight will definitely slow you down.

All you need to do here is set proper expectations.

If you want to sail a cat with four guys your size, don't look at beachcats. You need something like a Reynolds 21 or 27. They compress to fit on a trailer, and I have sailed on one 27 with 11 people.

If you want to sail a beachcat, just think fewer people at one time. Any 18 with wings will be able to have the four of you on board, but you won't go fast. Four pairs of legs is going to make the deck arrangement of lines and controls difficult on any cat.

Beachcat sailing requires activity from every crew member.
    Nobody gets to just sit if you want to go fast.
    Are your planned sailing buddies sailors now, or will you have to train each?

Edited by klozhald on May 03, 2019 - 06:04 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Are your planned sailing buddies sailors now, or will you have to train each?

Edited by klozhald on May 03, 2019 - 06:04 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.