Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Skinny water sailing  Bottom

• Prindle 16 sailors. What have you found the practical water depth needs to be in order to sail a P16? I know I have seen 1.83 feet, but is that practical?
    I ask because my home bay is shallow by nature. Varying between 2' and 5' on the charts.
    Its a bit of a silly question, but I can't help but ask.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Wow, that's pretty shallow but I guess if you flip it you wont have to worry about turtling it. icon_biggrin

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Ya tend to pop the rudders and round right up.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • QuoteI ask because my home bay is shallow by nature. Varying between 2' and 5' on the charts.

where i sail there is a 2' tide range typically
    we end up with around 1' - 3' of water typically (+ / - a foot or two depending on moon and wind)

we have learned by trial and grinding where to sail in low tides
    this leads to lots of wear on rudders and other boards

sailing while dragging a rudder is not very fast nor fun, nor good for the boat

QuoteI have seen 1.83 feet, but is that practical?

Where your weight is is a factor in this calculation. we sail with a few g-cats that will go into shallows and then the skipper helms from the front tramp to get the transoms (and rudders) up and clear - not the fastest sailing but much faster than the people dragging rudders

Edited by MN3 on Apr 23, 2019 - 08:25 AM.
  • MN3
    QuoteI ask because my home bay is shallow by nature. Varying between 2' and 5' on the charts.

where i sail there is a 2' tide range typically
    we end up with around 1' - 3' of water typically (+ / - a foot or two depending on moon and wind)

we have learned by trial and grinding where to sail in low tides
    this leads to lots of wear on rudders and other boards

sailing while dragging a rudder is not very fast nor fun, nor good for the boat

QuoteI have seen 1.83 feet, but is that practical?

Where your weight is is a factor in this calculation. we sail with a few g-cats that will go into shallows and then the skipper helms from the front tramp to get the transoms (and rudders) up and clear - not the fastest sailing but much faster than the people dragging ruddersEdited by MN3 on Apr 23, 2019 - 08:25 AM.

That is what I think I am most concerned with. Dragging bottom or some variation of that. Hard packed sand and oyster beds make quick work of beach cats. I am thinking just make sure its high tide. That gives a buffer.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • it's only high tide for a little while and if you plan to sail more than 6 hours ... you're gonna experience both

you can try to time it ... a few hours pre and a few hours post high tide but that may limit your sailing

i would try to combine higher water levels with learning where to and where not to sail in lower tides

also learning how to repair foils is a skill that will be valuable sailing in a shallow bay

I have to replace worn down foils every few years on each boat. it just comes with skinny water sailing
  • MN3it's only high tide for a little while and if you plan to sail more than 6 hours ... you're gonna experience both

you can try to time it ... a few hours pre and a few hours post high tide but that may limit your sailing

i would try to combine higher water levels with learning where to and where not to sail in lower tides

also learning how to repair foils is a skill that will be valuable sailing in a shallow bay

I have to replace worn down foils every few years on each boat. it just comes with skinny water sailing

Good call. I'm ready to get this boat on the water and try my luck but my schedule is keeping her on the side of the house for now.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Water depth charts are based on low water. 2-5 feet is plenty in the deeper sections, but you need 2-3 feet to keep the rudders from kicking up.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • all comments valid. Sailed prindle 16s initally in the Atlantic Ocean, best surfing cat, better than Hobie 16 that i owned- moved back into Great South Bay 24 years ago, had 2 prindle 16s -never lost/broke a rudder on sandbars or shallows(THEFLATS) as we often did in the surf. prindle rudders pop/kickup and you may have to replace springs &/or the unique stainless fitting that holds the rudder in place after wear and tear and constantly adjust, also new special treated rope from tiller arm down. But catsailors with dagger boards beware!!! I almost destoyed a nacra 5.2 when i was going all out and neglected to lift the dagger that was down! My sailing buddy Joe Pogostin(nacra 570,hobie 18 both with wings) somehow rebuilt the dagger board housing so the cat was seaworthy again. we also disengage rudders on P16 in shallow water but strong backs required to sail any distance with speed in that manner-i use to jury rig a tie down system to secure rudders in 45 degree angle in such instances
  • If you try to sail with the rudders partially down it will really load up the castings. If you have to sail close hauled to get to deep water (which is usually the off beach situation), try having the jib sheeted in and the main all the way out including the traveler. You can even steer the boat a little, pull in on the main and it will head up, push it out against the shrouds and it will fall off. This technique works with boardless cats when you want to keep your rudders off the bottom.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • Mahalo Bill. I can really use this advice at low tides.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Good advice, Bill
    Embarrassingly, I hadn't thought about using the sails to steer it out to deeper water.
    We commonly sail off the beach and use this tactic, less for steerage as much as for keeping the bows down so the waves don't bring you head to wind.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • shortyfoxIf you try to sail with the rudders partially down it will really load up the castings. If you have to sail close hauled to get to deep water (which is usually the off beach situation), try having the jib sheeted in and the main all the way out including the traveler. You can even steer the boat a little, pull in on the main and it will head up, push it out against the shrouds and it will fall off. This technique works with boardless cats when you want to keep your rudders off the bottom.

Works with boats with boards too
    steering by sail is a good tech for all to learn ... never know when your gonna need it . (esp if you sail a hobie 16 with those plastic rudders that snap without much notice)

for my boat (boards) i don't sheet the jib tight and play with the traveler on the main to get it to sail straight .. then it's mostly slight jib adjustments to go down, and main adjustments to go up

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.