Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Access port colors , does it matter?  Bottom

• Access port come in black and white. New Nacra 500s have black ones. Wouldn't back be hotter and maybe degrade faster, probably not significantly. So other than aesthetics, is there any experience of one vs the other? Our other boats have a mix, and I don't see a difference.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • The white ones will turn a yellowish color over time and the shiney black ones turn into a flat black color. My preference is the black ones. Get a boat covered is the best plan to reduce fading. icon_wink Last time I changed out a deck access port, I use the Hobie design port that has a hinged lid that can't get loss and sand isn't a issue too....my favorite. icon_smile

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • more often than not - black lasts longer in the sun (despite the hotter temps)
    think blacktop roofs, pavement, tramp material, etc
  • Bill40421SEI use the Hobie design port that has a hinged lid

Have you seen this?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp…f=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1
    They look sturdy, have a great price for a pair of them, and come with cargo bags.
    US $20 plus shipping.
    They are made for kayaks.
    They resemble the twist and lock Hobie hatches that cost $60 each.

Don't use the gaskets, use marine silicone sealer.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I painted my hatch covers and trim rings with Interlux Perfection marine paint. No more yellow or weather degradation. I would think almost any durable exterior gloss paint would work. Just paint the top sides and leave the threads and gaskets uncoated.

Edited by tominpa on Apr 18, 2019 - 09:55 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Tom, that is a great idea. Maybe I will paint my cross beam cover while I am at it.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Tom, that is a great idea. Maybe I will paint my cross beam cover while I am at it.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.