Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Snuffer wanted to purchase  Bottom

• anyone have a snuffer they would like to sale, hobie 20 450 sq foot spinnaker. Or a furler set up.

Edited by tigerberard on Apr 09, 2019 - 05:35 PM.
  • I recently went with a Selden CX-10 furler for a similar sized spinnaker. Priced well and it works great! Before that I used a snuffer system but it never worked quite right. Roller furler is the way to go.
  • I put a top down furling spinnaker on my Hobie 21SE and it works just so smooth......... icon_wink

Opens and closes in 5 seconds..... icon_smile

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I have a SNU snuffer available for an F18 if interested and tapered halyard. Message me your contact info.

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • The Miracle 20 is a pretty clean and fast boat upwind. Competitive with the newest tech. Adding a furling kite reduces upwind performance. A SNU generally minimizes the upwind hit. A F18 snuffer probably won't work for this kite though; the hoop will but the bag is far too small as the F18 kite is only 225 ft^2. To that end you would want to look for a Nacra Inter 20 setup I think, inclusive of the kite (25 m2 or 270 ft2); the 450 ft^2 kite that Hobie originally designed for the boat is far too large and was originally intended for dead downwind running which was quickly determined to be inefficient as VMG running is much faster on a spinnaker catamaran, and a smaller kite is more efficient (a lot less drag). Also this kite probably doesn't have take down patches installed, getting those right is important.

To that end you can order a longer bag from SNU or go for a complete Nacra setup from one of there dealers.

Good luck.
  • QuoteTo that end you can order a longer bag from SNU or go for a complete Nacra setup from one of there dealers.

you can always add a foot or so to the end of a f18 spin sock too
    this is a pretty easy job for anyone who can use a sewing machine or self stitch (neither can i do well)
  • Yes, I have done this to convert a 3 patch bag to a 2 patch bag (my preference, faster hoists and similar douse times). You need more like 3 or 4 extra feet in this case and the trouble is the bag is pretty tapered at the bit you are extending.
  • thanks for all the advice, SNU is no longer making Snuffers, Brad are you sailing in the Mug Race? If so I would like to look at your setup. I am in Valdosta Ga. Top down furling looks like the way to go, I am a little concerned with the up wind drag.
  • I am not certain but i don't know if an old style spin will work with a furler
    i THOUGHT the new furlers are cut differently to furl without a giant wad in the middle
  • I got one for my F18 from Barefoot Studio. I'm sure they could make one to suit.
    http://gobarefootstudio.com/store.html

--
    Brett
    2012 Goodall C2 with 2014 Hulls (warranty)
    1992 Hobie 18 w/ SX Wings (Sold)
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • ropewalkerI got one for my F18 from Barefoot Studio. I'm sure they could make one to suit.

when did you purchase?
    OP says "SNU is no longer making Snuffers,"
  • Last summer. The website I posted still shows them.
    The new ones are made from a UV resistant material, and should hold up much better. My spin goes in and out like clockwork now. icon_smile

MN3
    ropewalkerI got one for my F18 from Barefoot Studio. I'm sure they could make one to suit.

when did you purchase?
    OP says "SNU is no longer making Snuffers,"

--
    Brett
    2012 Goodall C2 with 2014 Hulls (warranty)
    1992 Hobie 18 w/ SX Wings (Sold)
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • I've got a carbon pole and Guck Skunk snuffer that I might part with... It's the right size for your boat, but might not be what you're looking for.
  • davidsdI have a SNU snuffer available for an F18 if interested and tapered halyard. Message me your contact info.

do you still have it?
  • davidsdI have a SNU snuffer available for an F18 if interested and tapered halyard. Message me your contact info.

Do you still have it for sale?
  • I am fixing the snuffer on the F18 HT that I am sailing. Apparently years of use had worn grooves into it causing the spi to hang. four layer of epoxy resin and a dremmel. I'm planning on painting it with truck bed liner paint to stop the abrasion from the lines, but maybe a new snuffer is in order....

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • if it's not too late: i would suggest an epoxy additive to add low-friction exterior coating with increased scuff resistance and durability.

like west system
    420 422 or 423
    https://www.westsystem.co…stem/additives-pigments/
  • I wish I had seen your post earlier, but I guess I will see how the ten dollar shaker can paint from Home Depot holds up out on the water.

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • flightleadI wish I had seen your post earlier, but I guess I will see how the ten dollar shaker can paint from Home Depot holds up out on the water.

if you see wear, you can always just sand down a little and add a top coat of epoxy with the additives in the future
  • tigerberardanyone have a snuffer they would like to sale, hobie 20 450 sq foot spinnaker. Or a furler set up.Edited by tigerberard on Apr 09, 2019 - 05:35 PM.

Where are you located? 3' I have pole and hoop setup for sale...just needs to have a bag made. It fits a Mystere 6.0 so I'm sure it'll work for a Miracle 20.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.