Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looking for fellow Gulf Coast Mississippi sailors  Bottom

• Hey, I am fairly new to the sport and was hoping maybe to branch out and meet others locally. I currently have a prindle 18 and am in the process of learning to rig and sail. I would feel much better if I could go out with others on my first sail, also I would be interested in paying for private lessons if anyone is interested. Thanks!
  • Hi Danny, I live in Mobile, but hope to do some sailing out of Ocean Springs soon. Where about are you located?

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Wow ... paid private lessons. I have been doing this cat sailing thing for over 30 yrs now. Is that an invite to get out of this never ending frozen Upstate NY? I think I would be all in for that. icon_smile

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • I live near Bay St. Louis, and I'm very familiar with the ocean springs area I kayak out to the barrier islands and camp out there plenty. I hope to be able to sail by prindle out there one day. Here in MS, I've only seen snow twice and you can do water activities all year with just only needing a wetsuit. The mobile bay always looks plenty of windy. I have thought about bringing my windsurfing gear out there it seems to get higher winds more on the regular.
  • Any thoughts on the prindle 18 and does anyone think a prindle 18 is too big for solo sailing?
  • Hey Danny. Come sail with us in Ocean Springs at OSYC. We are a beachcat friendly club and have lots of people that will help you. Check us out at www.osyc

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Bay St. Louis is 100 miles from Mobile Bay. I sail out of BYC, but it is not exactly catamaran friendly. Mobile Bay builds a sea breeze seemingly every day after between 10-2pm. I am not sure about the weather conditions at OSYC, but sailing out of there is on my list of things to do.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Strongly recommend that you take Kenny's advice and hook up with the OSYC people. http://www.osyc.com/
    It's the place to be for catsailing on the MS coast, and you'll get lots of help with your learning curve. You don't have to be a member to enroll in their youth or adult sailing lessons (last I checked). There's a regatta coming up the weekend of April 6th....would be a great time to visit, check it out, and meet some folks.

I really like the P18's combination of simplicity and size, and solo sailing a it is very doable with experience and appropriate conditions. Solo stepping the mast and moving it around on the beach....well....

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks guys! I will find out more about the adult sailing lessons at OSYC and make it out there April 6th. Sounds like the kind of place I was looking for, and its nice to know you don't have to me a member to get lessons. Any of you guys ever go out and camp at any of the MS barriers islands in your catamarans, that is eventually the goal for me in my prindle.
  • I used to go camping on Horn and Ship often in a 17' daysailor when I was young, dumb, and fearless! It's a great trip during the right season (BUGS!) and weather.

There's an OSYC group that camps out on Horn once or twice a year (spring and/or fall). They had planned to go the weekend of March 16, but postponed due to the forecasted cold front...haven't seen anything on a new date yet. In addition to the catsailors, they usually have some power boats for safety/backup, including a gentleman with a 22' skiff who'll carry your camping gear (which is problematic on a small cat). I made the trip with this group once and had a great time. I'm tellin' ya'....OSYC is where it's at!

Edited by rattlenhum on Mar 24, 2019 - 07:44 AM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.