Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.7 Jib On Nacra 5.0 - Light Air Fun Booster  Bottom

• How much bigger is the 5.7 jib? Thoughts?

https://www.thebeachcats.…cra-jib-for-sale5-7.html

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I think you will run out of room, especially if you have roller furling on the 5.0. The jib already comes close to the top swivel. The 5.7 is at least a foot longer.
    I really don’t think it’s worntwhile, it’s not going to give you an extra 5mph. The 5.0 is a bit indercanvassed in light wind, live with it, or buy a 5.7.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Not a Nacra guy so don’t know those details but I have expieremented with different sized jibs on my Gcat 5.7 and the boat actually feels the most balanced and goes upwind the best with a smaller size, with little benefit when using the larger sizes
  • Edchris177I think you will run out of room, especially if you have roller furling on the 5.0. The jib already comes close to the top swivel. The 5.7 is at least a foot longer.
    I really don’t think it’s worntwhile, it’s not going to give you an extra 5mph. The 5.0 is a bit indercanvassed in light wind, live with it, or buy a 5.7.

Looks like you've done the measuring for me. I don't have a roller furler. Looks like it would take a minimum of 17" free forestay to nominally fit. Will have to measure the amount free to know for sure next time I have the boat up.

It will be very interesting to see the degree to which this will balance the helm on the 5.0. In my experience always weather helm very strong with aggressive mast rake even with the rudders forward all the way.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130850&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Weather helm is quickly solved by decreasing mast rake or bringing rudders closer to the stern. At least it works that way on my 5.7. I keep a very slight weather helm, but the boat would sail off into the distance if I was ever disconnected from it in my current setup. The jib has less to do with weather or lee helm than mast position. Let out the shrouds a notch or two and observe the difference.

Edited by tominpa on Feb 19, 2019 - 08:16 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Edchris177I think you will run out of room, especially if you have roller furling on the 5.0. The jib already comes close to the top swivel. The 5.7 is at least a foot longer.

I laid it all out to scale and yes, I will likely have to relocate the the jib halyard block to the forestay attachment point, but it looks like it will fit. My M25 was rigged with the halyard block at the forestay attachment point and I liked that geometry as it tensions the jib luff more squarely along the forestay rather than pulling it off towards the mast. I may also have to move the jib sheet blocks, but no worry, easy to do. No matter what this will be fun...film at 11.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130876&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I doubt you’ll notice any difference, i would rather save the money for a reacher:
    https://www.forward-saili…ls-magnum-21-sun-20.html

Edited by Andinista on Feb 28, 2019 - 10:05 AM.
  • we run 6.0 jibs on our 5.5's
    def a nice upgrade off the wind
  • Quote I may also have to move the jib sheet blocks, but no worry, easy to do.

Most 5.0 have the jib blocks fixed to a pad eye on hull, the 5.7 came with tracks to slide the jib blocks fore/aft.
    I don't know if there is some sort of backing plate for the 2 rivets that hold the padeye. I would at least want a washer on the inside, & perhaps a few more layers of wetted fabric.
    Pulling a larger jib, only supported by 2 small rivets seems likely to fail.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177Most 5.0 have the jib blocks fixed to a pad eye on hull, the 5.7 came with tracks to slide the jib blocks fore/aft.I don't know if there is some sort of backing plate for the 2 rivets that hold the padeye. I would at least want a washer on the inside, & perhaps a few more layers of wetted fabric.
    Pulling a larger jib, only supported by 2 small rivets seems likely to fail.

My 5.0 jib sheet blocks are fixed at one point. The glass at the attachment point is definitely beefed up then through bolted and backed with washers, but if I add a track I may have to do some additional reinforcement as you suggest to strengthen the additional attachment points of a track.

The dimensions of the 5.7 jib available on here are listed as 212 207 76 (no tension just laid out). That is bigger that the 5.7 jib at 209 201 77. Anyone know what the sail is intended to fit, 5.8, 6.0?

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Quotebut if I add a track I may have to do some additional reinforcement as you suggest to strengthen the additional attachment points of a track.

If you go this route, hunt down Nacra tracks. Tracks from a Hobie 18 don’t work with the Nacra Harken cars.They look the same, but the slot is a wee bit different. I liked the Harken jib blocks better than the Seaways H18 uses, & tried to swap them. The Nacra car will not slide into the Hobie track.
    Also the car cannot be separated from the Seaway block, the shackle is welded.

Edited by Edchris177 on Mar 03, 2019 - 10:56 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177
    If you go this route, hunt down Nacra tracks. Tracks from a Hobie 18 don’t work with the Nacra Harken cars.They look the same, but the slot is a wee bit different. I liked the Harken jib blocks better than the Seaways H18 uses, & tried to swap them. The Nacra car will not slide into the Hobie track.

Thanks for the heads up on that Ed.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • leeboweffect
    Edchris177

Thanks for the heads up on that Ed.

I have some Nacra jib tracks.

--
    Philip
    --
  • P.M.I have some Nacra jib tracks.

Please Message me with pics, price etc..

Thanks

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • leeboweffect
    P.M.I have some Nacra jib tracks.

Thanks

I'm traveling but will get with you this weekend. I don't have any pics with me.

--
    Philip
    --
  • P.M.
    leeboweffect
    P.M.I have some Nacra jib tracks.

Thanks

I'm traveling but will get with you this weekend. I don't have any pics with me.

PM sent

--
    Philip
    --
  • tominpaWeather helm is quickly solved by decreasing mast rake or bringing rudders closer to the stern. At least it works that way on my 5.7. I keep a very slight weather helm, but the boat would sail off into the distance if I was ever disconnected from it in my current setup. The jib has less to do with weather or lee helm than mast position. Let out the shrouds a notch or two and observe the difference.Edited by tominpa on Feb 19, 2019 - 08:16 PM.

Hey Tom, I have tons of weather helm on my 5.7. I have one hole left on the fore-stay tang to move the mast forward and a couple on the shrouds. Sailing a friend's 5.8 (his mast is raked further back than mine), the helm is basically neutral and makes a big difference. My sails are pretty much shot, so I'm wondering if that might be the culprit. Any advice is welcomed... icon_wink
  • tominpaWeather helm is quickly solved by decreasing mast rake or bringing rudders closer to the stern. At least it works that way on my 5.7. I keep a very slight weather helm, but the boat would sail off into the distance if I was ever disconnected from it in my current setup. The jib has less to do with weather or lee helm than mast position. Let out the shrouds a notch or two and observe the difference.Edited by tominpa on Feb 19, 2019 - 08:16 PM.

Hey Tom, I have tons of weather helm on my 5.7. I have one hole left on the fore-stay tang to move the mast forward and a couple on the shrouds. Sailing a friend's 5.8 (his mast is raked further back than mine), the helm is basically neutral and makes a big difference. My sails are pretty much shot, so I'm wondering if that might be the culprit. Any advice is welcomed... icon_wink
  • please let us know how it worked out my fried Malcolm(2 Tornados) bought N5.0 for his son i have a set of N5.7 sails and could give him 5.7 jib
  • nofearofflyingplease let us know how it worked out my fried Malcolm(2 Tornados) bought N5.0 for his son i have a set of N5.7 sails and could give him 5.7 jib

Here are a couple of progress pics so far, moving pretty slow on this one. My intention was to try a Nacra 5.7 jib which according to everything I have found thus far should be 209, 201, 77. I bought a sail advertised as a 5.7 jib, but it actually measures corner to corner under light staked out on the ground tension 215, 207, 77 (note I'm not complaining as it was a bargain basement purchase just to try this). Even at 215 it fits with about 7 inches of forestay left (an actual 5.7 jib at 209 would for sure fit). The problem is that the jib halyard block is mounted to the mast so low that you run out of space for downhauling sufficiently. To solve this problem my next step is to mount a Shock Block on the tang at the hounds then give it a go in the water after moving the jib blocks if needed to get equal leech/foot tension as a starting poing. Cheers

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132319&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132320&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.