Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Early Nacra crossbar retention, 2 bolt vs straps, which is better?  Bottom

• Early 80 Nacras had 2 bolts thru the cross bar to hold to hulls, later models had straps over the bars;
    So there are 2 vs 4 anchor points respectively. More is usually better. Is the 2 bolt system strong, or best to get a boat with the straps?

Do the through bolt anchors cause more cracks?

Thanks.

--
    John

Marstrom Tornado
    DN Iceboat

CT
    --
  • The later boats had a 5-point connection in the front beam. In addition to the straps, a bolt inside the crossbar prevents rotation. I think the fact the straps were used in the later design was done for a good reason to distribute the load. I guess any boat that has survived 40 years deserves respect, but I would favor the newer design.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Thanks Tom.

--
    John

Marstrom Tornado
    DN Iceboat

CT
    --
  • I agree,inserted bolt besides 2 straps each side on my 5.2 before lost to hurricane Sandy I also kept the aluminum bar that ran from front cross bar to rear cross bar. sandy destroyed hulls but "frame"did Not suffer any damage, I duplicated same securing design for my N5.7 when we diassembled front cross bar to install new dolphin striker & bolt below mast- instructive photos available on this site were a Hugh help
  • I agree,inserted bolt besides 2 straps each side on my 5.2 before lost to hurricane Sandy I also kept the aluminum bar that ran from front cross bar to rear cross bar. sandy destroyed hulls but "frame"did Not suffer any damage, I duplicated same securing design for my N5.7 when we diassembled front cross bar to install new dolphin striker & bolt below mast- instructive photos available on this site were a Hugh help

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.

• December 11, 2018
  • No events scheduled.

Upcoming Beachcats Events

VIEW FULL CALENDAR