Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Furler and swivel  Bottom

• A while back I got a furler and swivel off eBay (from a member of this forum).

It is the Harken 434 kit. After looking through the Harken catalog I saw that the 434 is a low-load application (500lbs) and the 435 is the standard application (950 lbs).

It’s my understanding that this furler was used on a SC 20 by the previous owner and I’ve got it on a Nacra5.7.

I have no idea of the loads on a forestay and I’m sure these things are over-built, but I thought I’d ask the advice and opinions of folks with much more collective knowledge than my own.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • if your worried, just upgrade the bearings to the Torlon ones that's the only difference
  • MN3, thanks pal, I didn’t know the internals of these things but suspected that might be the difference. I’m not really concerned about function because they are running perfectly smoothly. But is the design such that the different bearings could cause a structural failure? If that’s the case I’ll look into new bearings over the winter, otherwise I’ll change them based on wear.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I'd really like to get a roller furler for my 5.7. You would think I'd have done this before waiting 34 years! I'll have to put up an ad on parts wanted.

Tnell, did you ever do the decals?

https://i.imgur.com/MFWO3Qq.jpg

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • The boat has been painted ice blue. I’m going to lay the decals out and see how they look with the new paint.
    If you need any suggestions on the furler setup let me know.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Tim, I was exactly in your situation years ago. One of th first things I did was put roller curling on my 5.7.
    I simply bought 100 Torlon bearings & swapped out the old ones. ( Still have the old white ones, if anyone wants them for a Lo Load system PM me).
    I docum ented the rebuild procedure, here is everything you need to know.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…67de927877ba25f8f58006f7

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 24, 2018 - 07:00 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • That is so perfectly what I needed to know...that’s what this community is all about.

Thanks guys, and thanks To Damon too for creating this place. Also thanks to Damon for telling me how I can beat him next time!!

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Ed,
    Can you recall where you got the torlon balls? I’m having trouble finding that size. I found them for 45 cents but maybe can get them cheaper

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • sailing services in miami sold me mine
    305 758 1074
    http://www.sailingservices.com/
  • MN3

Thanks again! They have generic and Harken. The Harken are .02 more per ball but still only .22 per.
    Since that’s half the price I found elsewhere I doubled my order so I have another set on hand.

The lady on the phone was probably the best phone sales person I’ve ever spoken to. VERY helpful and friendly, and she had a guy helping her in the background to make sure we got it all correct.

In one quick call I can highly recommend this place for good phone skills at least.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • glad to help
    make sure you count how many come out and use the correct amount
    i destroyed a furler by using too few.

i would also suggest you work on a Frisbee or similar as bearing go everywhere

Edited by MN3 on Sep 24, 2018 - 10:37 AM.
  • Murrays has the whole kit ready to go... I have used this on a few application (NACRA 5.8 being one of them) and I believe this is the same hardware that was used on the NACRA 20.

https://www.murrays.com/product/30-5051/

As recalled, I need to shorten my forstay a little compensate for the extra hardware...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • The swivel and drum are each 2-1/2” pin to pin, and the upper pig tail I used was 6” ( I think it was a Hobie stock item) so my new forestay was 11” shorter than the original. I sourced the expensive parts used (drum and swivel) and had murrays build the rest of my new rig to fit. I probably saved close to $200 going this way but I do have used parts and need to replace $25 worth of bearings.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • QuoteThe lady on the phone was probably the best phone sales person I’ve ever spoken to. VERY helpful and friendly, and she had a guy helping her in the background to make sure we got it all correct.

I’m pretty sure I also used Sailing Services. The person I talked to sounded Cuban, very helpful, wish there were more like it...(West Marine, are you listening?)
    Unless you fill the drum with sand on a regular basis, you won’t need to change them for a long time.
    MN3i would also suggest you work on a Frisbee or similar as bearing go everywhereEdited by MN3 on Sep 24, 2018 - 10:37 AM.

Even better is a light coloured towel. You can see everything, & nothing bounces or runs away when dropped.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 25, 2018 - 07:11 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Alright, I now have 200 5/32 (aka 4 mm) torlon balls on hand. I will replace the balls in the Nacra and have a spare set if I need them for the Supercat.

Funny thing, the difference in the 434 and 435 furler sets is about $80, but the difference in the bearings is only $20-25.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Thanks to Edchris177, MN3, and Sailing Services.

I have nothing to add to the good write up and photos from Edchriss177.

I did have just a bit of trouble removing the barrel from the drum just because it was a little stuck from old grease. A light tap on the end of a very fine flat blade screwdriver took care of it.

It turns out my swivel already had the torlon balls but the drum did indeed have the delrin ones.

Anyway, I was able to get a thorough inspection and cleaning of everything and changed all the balls. The swivel looked like it came off the shelf at Murrays or APS yesterday. The drum had just a bit of old grease with no signs of salt crust or corrosion anywhere.

Next up a trick (or at least tricker than stock) downhaul on the SC and some special secret jib sheeting enhancements for my Nacra crew. (Starts with ox....ends with ...cks).

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.