Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

first beach cat amf trac 14  Bottom

• looking for any tips or help on getting started sailing, also looking too see if the amf trac 14 is a good cat to start off with thanks -Dylan

Edited by dylan29 on Sep 22, 2018 - 06:00 PM.
  • What’s your location? We may know a fleet or club nearby to get you on the water. Amf 14 is probably ok as long as your not a big guy and don’t mind sailing solo. You also may outgrow it quicker than you want to and may have a hard time finding replacement parts. I assume you have access to one so I say go for it.

Edited by jalex on Sep 22, 2018 - 11:04 PM.
  • Location of where you will be sailing is a bit of a concern for sure, start out in some protected waters like lakes or bayous where you won't be hit by big waves and wind gusts. You also need to factor in weight, will you be wanting to sail solo, or with a crew? I don't know anything about a Trac 14, but I can tell you that a Hobie 14 is a good boat to learn on as you only have one sail to manage, but weight will be a factor. Do some research on the Trac, and the Hobie and see which one you think would best suit your needs, or just jump all in and go with a bigger boat, many options to choose from. It all comes down to what you want out of the boat. The Trac may serve your needs but as stated, replacement parts may be hard to come by.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • thanks for the helful replys im on the southern part of lake michigan specfically michigan city and my weight is about 150lbs if i wanted a crew of 3 what size and boat would you recimend me get next ?

Dylan
    amf tac 14
    michigan city,in / lake michigan
  • If you will be regularly sailing with 3 I would recommend at least an 18 footer. If it will be usually 1 or 2 and the occasional 3 for an afternoon, some of the 16s are fine. You are light at 150, if your crew is as well it will be more about having a place to sit than over loading the boat. Most important, sail what you have, I’m not trying to get you boat shopping sooner than you need to

Edited by jalex on Sep 23, 2018 - 12:39 PM.
  • I really think a 14-footer is not going to make you happy once you learn to sail. A few examples of older 18-foot cats that would be great to start with include NACRA 5.7, 5.8, Hobie 18, Prindle 18, and I would not overlook a few 16 footers that can be fun for crews of 2. They come up for sale regularly at a good price and are all proven boats that are pretty easy to sail. All of them can double trap for fun and are stable, with good flotation. Lake Michigan is a big body of water and will have swells and waves anytime sailing is fun, although Michigan City is often on the lee shoreline. The southeast shoreline of Michigan is really nice for catamaran sailing with lots of sandy beaches. Good luck with finding your boat, it's the right time of year to get a good price.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Dylan, forget that Trac 14, it's in the category of also-rans. And forget about taking 3 for crew, maybe 2, but never 3. Run down to Muskegon asap and get that Nacra 5.0 (16') for $400. Excellent deal, excellent boat. Pete
  • Looks like that 5.0 is in Wisconsin but heck of a deal. If it were closer LOL.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.