Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle main downhaul setup  Bottom

• Just wondering is anyone can send me pics of their main sail downhaul rigging on their prindle or Hobie. Looking for something simple that involves a pulley system that is quick to setup. Thanks

--
    Frank
    Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
    --
  • Here's a thread I did on Hobie downhaul choices. https://www.thebeachcats.…nc=viewtopic&topic=16899 It may have what you seek?

I need to update that thread to provide a season worth of experience on the double-cascading multiplication system I've run for the last year on the H18, and for new feedback on a simpler (and stock) system run on my Tiger. Quick summary: the double-cascade works well to pull in downhaul, but has more friction than desirable when *releasing* downhaul. It works, just not as smoothly as desired. Oh, and the Tiger mast with tune-able prebend is way more flexible than the H18 mast (I mostly sail the non comp-tip H18 stick). Even so, with enough downhaul advantage and a laminate sail tough enough to take the pull, you can really flatten/depower the H18 sail, similar to what you can do (more easily) on the F18 Tiger.

FWIW, none of this is exactly rocket science, and it is pretty much what other folks told me would happen, I just wanted to try it on my own.

Randii

Edited by randii on Sep 10, 2018 - 11:56 AM.
  • Thanks... This is helpful.

--
    Frank
    --
  • Quote Even so, with enough downhaul advantage and a laminate sail tough enough to take the pull, you can really flatten/depower the H18 sail, similar to what you can do (more easily) on the F18 Tiger.

your (h18) mast is very stiff so it's really working the snot out of your sail matierial
    / you are overworking your sail along the luff and will die an early death by oversheeting your (anything).

there are other methods to reduce heeling that won't hurt your luff as much - so unless your racing ... i would reduce rotation, travel out, sheet out, furl jib, and outhaul before i relied on overworking the luff - ymmv
  • Spags... is this for a Prindle 15? I have used something similar to this for a 16 and an 18, and probably what I am going with for the 18-2 that I am rebuilding...

https://www.murrays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/07-2089-1.jpg

Edited by JohnES on Sep 10, 2018 - 07:30 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I would put a low purchase on the less modern designs with Dacron sails. It’s just more leverage to pull out a grommet or head plate.

Edited by jalex on Sep 10, 2018 - 10:03 PM.
  • jalexI would put a low purchase on the less modern designs with Dacron sails. It’s just more leverage to pull out a grommet or head plate.

The setup JohnES shows looks to be six to one, which is close to the original and should work fine with a standard sail's grommets. A newer flathead sail will be stronger at the grommet by design, ready for a higher working ratio, and possibly a pre-bent mast config.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • MN3your (h18) mast is very stiff so it's really working the snot out of your sail matierial
    / you are overworking your sail along the luff and will die an early death by oversheeting your (anything).

I checked in with Chip before really cranking up the downhaul advantage. His comment was something along the lines of -- that's essentially an F18 sail, so it can take the downhaul. I an WAY more delicate with my older Dacron sails.

MN3there are other methods to reduce heeling that won't hurt your luff as much - so unless your racing ... i would reduce rotation, travel out, sheet out, furl jib, and outhaul before i relied on overworking the luff - ymmv

I agree with all of these options... learning to balance them all is quite the trick, especially while controlling the squaretop!

Randii
  • QuoteI checked in with Chip before really cranking up the downhaul advantage. His comment was something along the lines of -- that's essentially an F18 sail, so it can take the downhaul. I an WAY more delicate with my older Dacron sails.

Not trying to be argumentative and I would certainly use a modern sail over a dacron one on any boat:

I totally agree that it is a modern sail - it's the mast that isn't
    modern material will hold up and not continue to stretch like dacron does
    but when it is fatigued enough ... it just shreds

so getting your sail as flat with a downhaul requires a lot more force to bend the (stiff) mast into that position than it would on a modern stick

so it is harder on your sail than if you were on a bendy mast - imo
  • Yes johnES... Its for a prindle 15.

--
    Frank
    --
  • spagsYes johnES... Its for a prindle 15.

Get these an you'll be set

https://www.murrays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/28-0085.jpg

http://www.fawcettboat.com/images/HAR_109.jpg

https://www.murrays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/27-0702.jpg

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • MN3Not trying to be argumentative...

No worries, it is the internet! *chuckle*

MN3so it is harder on your sail than if you were on a bendy mast - imo

Besides, we agree!

I love messing around with boats, and I wanted to try different levels of advantage on my downhaul. I learned a lot about it, but sailing on the Tiger has been eye-opening in many ways... downhaul not least of it, and also prebend.

Randii
  • Quoteeye-opening in many ways... downhaul not least of it, and also prebend

I had lots of revelations when i stepped up to modern design
    the h18 was great but makes you work real hard for any gains

my 5.5 is much much much more responsive

i need to work on my rigging skills to get to the next level myself (rake, prebend, stay and spreader tension)
  • Thanks for the tips sailors and the pics for the parts. If u can send me a pic of how those parts look on your boat that would be awesome too. Thanks so much.

--
    Frank
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.