Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Advise on which boat?  Bottom

• Hello I'm in the market for a boat to keep my sailing skills tuned, and to teach my daughter to sail. I have been sailing mono and cruising cats for years, but they are not practical for where I live. I'm looking at a Nacra 18 (2015) and a nacra 20 (2005) w/ carbon mast. They are close in price, and my thoughts are to get the larger. the area I sail is primarily going to be lighter wind, and I will be sailing with typically under 350lbs (2 crew). I just don't want to get anything that is going to be to large to single hand or takes to much time to rig to sail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • A 16 foot might do the trick. Those other are big cats. A 500 has no boom or boards.

How far do you want to take your sailing? That could point in other directions, esp if racing is in the cards.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Nacra 20 is a beast and cannot be sailed properly solo in more than 7 knots of wind as more weight is needed to keep it from flipping over, even in very light winds. That said, it is super fun to solo with the spinnaker in light wind. You can go 15 kts in 6 kts of wind, but expect to flip over and possibly have a very hard time righting it.

Sailing it in 15 kts wind with two people is full on fury, especially if its the first beachcat sailing experience. Also, rigging an N20 takes a very long time compared to something like a Hobie 16.

To add perspective, I would take my dog out on my G-Cat 5.7 for camping trips without much trouble, but that's not an option with the N20 as it is way too powered up (i.e., requires constant trapezing and playing of the mainsheet to keep it from going over).
  • Those are both powerful cats. Tell us more about where you intend to sail. Are you planing mast up storage or
    rigging every time? I would suggest maybe starting with an older 16 or maybe a hobie or Prindle 18 to get your feet wet. Usually can sell it for close to your purchase price and then move on to a more modern platform.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I’m planning on sailing on a reservoir in Mississippi. There is a small fleet of mainly Hobie 16 with some nacra 18. I will be keeping the boat on the trailer with the mast upright.

Edited by ravenstein on Aug 05, 2018 - 01:25 PM.
  • Only 2 reservoirs in Mississippi with multi-hull fleets that I know of, Ross Barnett and Arkabutla, and only one with Nacra F18's.

Have you sailed either boat?
    Rigged either boat?
    That's a lot of boat to rig and get in and out of the water solo, let alone sail solo with out a beachcat background.

Ross Barnett sucks in light air with all the power boat and jet ski traffic. I haven't sailed the butt in years.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Ross Barnett Reservoir is where I will be sailing. I have not sailed either boat or rigged either boat. The winds on the reservoir are light, and when the winds do pipe up there is never anyone out sailing. I would love to try out a Nacra or a Hobie 16, but never see anyone sailing.
  • a 20' beach cat is a lot of boat and a lot of rigging (my 6.0 mast is a beast)

a modern 18' (f18) is a lot of rigging and requires knowledgeable crew and skipper
    a legacy (prindle 18 /hobie 18 /nacra 5.2 or 5.5 ) is a much easier boat to rig, often easier to right, and doesn't become a monster above 15knots like a 6.0 will

I usually recommend you start out w a 16' or a prindle/hobie/nacra as a first boat

unless you have mad skills and desires i would start out small and upsize when your skills match your desire
    legacy boats typically have all the depreciation worked out of the price so you can often sell them for close to what you bought them for when you upsize
  • It sounds like you have more sailing experience than I, so I don't know that I've got a ton to offer. That said, I agree with Andrew that 20 ft is a lot of boat. Were I in your shoes, I'd want to know that I can right it for sure, rather than a theoretical, "I should be able to with a water bag."

I've got an 18 foot boat and I've had my clock cleaned by better sailors in 16 foot boats. I'd recommend you find the boat design that appeals to your type of sailing best and buy that. I think that 2 feet of difference is not likely to be meaningful.

If I had more cash, I'd be looking at one of the newer Nacra 15's that are used in Olympic racing. Very fast and small enough that they can be righted by a single person.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • If your daughter is a teen you may want a very forgiving cat like hobie wave easy too sail easy to right it goes plenty quick and when you get tired of it easy resale nice cat to learn on
  • I will be listing my nacra 500 for sale soon. Let me know if you think you may be interested before i post it. I think it would fit your needs great. I'm in LA, not too far from you.
  • ravensteinRoss Barnett Reservoir is where I will be sailing. I have not sailed either boat or rigged either boat. The winds on the reservoir are light, and when the winds do pipe up there is never anyone out sailing. I would love to try out a Nacra or a Hobie 16, but never see anyone sailing.

5 club members were out there Sunday afternoon, no boats out, very little wind. This time of year with light winds, thunderstorms and heat, only the young guys and new guys go out. My crews not interested unless she is on the wire and unless the other F18 or 18HT is going out too.
    The sign by the gate has the commodore's number on top, Jerome's a H16 sailor.
    My number is the second number and sail a Nacra F18. I've been a club officer for over 25 years.

Give us a call, come out and introduce yourself (Sunday afternoons), hang out, drink a beer or 3, learn to rig, go for a ride. Maybe we can help you figure out what boat is right for you.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • ste4I will be listing my nacra 500 for sale soon. Let me know if you think you may be interested before i post it. I think it would fit your needs great. I'm in LA, not too far from you.

I may be interested. Please let me know if you decide to sell.
  • nacra55
    ravensteinRoss Barnett Reservoir is where I will be sailing. I have not sailed either boat or rigged either boat. The winds on the reservoir are light, and when the winds do pipe up there is never anyone out sailing. I would love to try out a Nacra or a Hobie 16, but never see anyone sailing.

5 club members were out there Sunday afternoon, no boats out, very little wind. This time of year with light winds, thunderstorms and heat, only the young guys and new guys go out. My crews not interested unless she is on the wire and unless the other F18 or 18HT is going out too.
    The sign by the gate has the commodore's number on top, Jerome's a H16 sailor.
    My number is the second number and sail a Nacra F18. I've been a club officer for over 25 years.

Give us a call, come out and introduce yourself (Sunday afternoons), hang out, drink a beer or 3, learn to rig, go for a ride. Maybe we can help you figure out what boat is right for you.

I will keep an eye out for an open gate, and hope to catch up with you and the others. I would love to try out a H16 and a Nacra 18 to see which one would be best for me.
  • ravenstein, i sent u a pm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.