• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neYHxrvgaMA

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I am very curious to see what your camera setup looks like. It must be on a pendulum of some sort since the horizon seems to be maintained pretty well. Your videos are all pretty good, we can all stand to learn your techniques.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • dmgbear55It must be on a pendulum of some sort since the horizon seems to be maintained pretty well.

It's just a simple pivot using the camera slung below pendulum fashion. The only modification from these pics are I got rid of the spring and just use a shoulder bolt shimmed to give a very precise fit.

https://www.thebeachcats.…nc=viewtopic&topic=16647

The camera is a Garmin VIRB Elite.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • QuoteIt's just a simple pivot using the camera slung below pendulum fashion. The only modification from these pics are I got rid of the spring and just use a shoulder bolt shimmed to give a very precise fit.

yea simple :)
  • Part two of this simple arrangement is the Garmin camera. It is fairly heavy compared to the little JVC Addixxion I am currently using, so it would center better or faster. I also use the shroud mounted windex and learned a couple of weeks ago I simply can't sail without that thing when it took a swim by itself, so will have to figure out a work around. But your videos are great, keep up the good work.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • dmgbear55Part two of this simple arrangement is the Garmin camera. It is fairly heavy compared to the little JVC Addixxion I am currently using, so it would center better or faster.

I chose the Garmin because a friend had been using one thus I had local "live support." !@#$%^@#$

Never heard of the JVC unit, but it is a quality brand. Does it have the GPS for telemetry/speed overlay? The GPS feature is really the Garmin's selling point although the early Garmins (like mine) get a bad rap as there are a number of firmware quirks to work around. Most folks choose the GoPro, but If I read correctly they didn't have GPS until the Hero5. The Garmin VIRB Elite was one of Garmin's very early models.

dmgbear55I also use the shroud mounted windex and learned a couple of weeks ago I simply can't sail without that thing when it took a swim by itself, so will have to figure out a work around.

I just use red yarn and rely mostly on those tied to the bridle wires. I find this way I can keep my eyes and attention ahead and on the lee bow.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130123&g2_serialNumber=4

Thank you for your kind words. I have very much enjoyed and learned from your rebuilding videos of "This End Up."

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • The JVC unit does not have GPS or many of the features of the Garmin. One feature it does have though is a working microphone so you can actually hear the sound of the water and conversation. I have used it on my rafting trips many times and it is cool to be able to hear the actual roar of the rapid. The GoPro's suck at sound. When I say this is a small camera I mean small, about 1/4 of the size and weight of your Garmin. The big problem I have with my little camera is that it is nearly impossible to see the screen in bright sunlight, so you don't know what it is doing. But when you can see the screen at least you can figure out the menu system, far better than the GoPro again. My latest mount setup is to use the handle on the daggerboard and face the camera forward. I think that will do a good job of being stable, not so much the action aft, although it could be pointed in different directions easily enough.

Your video has been impressive for how stable it is. I would have expected more vibration from the sail on the shroud. Maybe the Garmin has some good stabilization, or is the shroud mount just that stable?

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • dmgbear55Your video has been impressive for how stable it is. I would have expected more vibration from the sail on the shroud. Maybe the Garmin has some good stabilization, or is the shroud mount just that stable?

I am happy with the horizon leveling and general stability of my setup, but there is a tremendous amount of vibration in the rig that starts somewhere around 14 - 16 mph. It appears to be from jib leach flutter which is a mystery to me as you do not perceive or hear any vibration on the boat even at higher speeds. The jib is a one season old tri-radial from Elliott/Pattison, extremely well made so flutter was a big surprise. I'm still trying to figure out the flutter issue as you can REALLY see (camera shake) and hear the flutter during the fastest runs in the video. The camera seems to amplify the sound and is that annoying sharp jiggly sound you hear which at times sounds like a motor or popcorn.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.