Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cell phone mount  Bottom

• Can anyone suggest an effective cell phone mount on a beachcat? Not really for calling, but more for gps, boatspeed and windspeed info. Is there one out there? Anyone have any other suggestions.

--
    Frank
    Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
    --
  • imho - trying to use a cellphone for on the fly nav/updates.. etc.:

they are not really great on a beach cat for anything but being stowed away securely for use when on anchor
    the screens are usually about impossible to see in full sunlight with sunglasses on
    they are a large distraction
    and they don't float if dropped or left on deck (or wing)

i suggest you get a cheaper gps watch or "something else" (like a speed puck) to mount and you can glance at it without getting your face in your boom/mast to read a mounted phone.

or you can download a tracking / speed app on your phone and let it go while you sail - one issue is - these gps apps are heavy loads on your phone and eat up battery l

Edited by MN3 on Jun 30, 2018 - 09:52 AM.
  • I agree... Thanks

--
    Frank
    --
  • What gps watch would u recommend for sailors?

--
    Frank
    --
  • dunno - i dont ever wear watches
    others may chime in.. i know some guys wear garmin watches .. not sure what model
  • No good mounts that I know of. I use the waterproof smartphone "bag". Tie it, keep it in PFD pocket. Backlight is full brightness. I use it to call the boss and report what time I'll be back, very seldom to check charts icon_biggrin

After a few uses they inevitably develop tears around the main opening, so watch for those and replace before they let water in.

I had a Garmin Quatix first gen, was great for rudimentary nav (died recently :-/ ).

Speedpuck for speed / windshifts.

Sometimes thinking of a Garmin 78c but it's old and overpriced. Might get it for a long trip.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.