Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

g cat 5.7 in dunedin  Bottom

• went to the beach this am to help an old friend step his mast and then I took him to breakfast for fathersday - as we drove back onto the beach we saw this boat for sale

we had seen this boat a month or 2 ago rigged for sailing and hans g (the G in gcat) was gushing over it

looks like a nicely kept up boat and trailer
    i know NOTHING about the boat or the owner, just drove up and talked with him after i dropped hans off

i suggested he post it here on the site - and he said he wasn't sure how to post images so i offered to post this

looks pretty cheap if the boat is as good as it looks on the trailer (again i didn't touch the boat)
    wheels included he said

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130048&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130043&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130044&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by MN3 on Jun 17, 2018 - 11:47 AM.
  • I have a G-Cat and can tell ya they're great boats. If it's in good condition i'd jump on it. Very tough, love high wind and roomy.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • i wouldn't jump on it - might break the tramp or worse ;)
    after posting i decided: i want this boat

but i just can't buy a 4th boat .... esp while still paying interest on the 3rd one
  • Where’s the info? Price, contact ect? Or is it already off the market?
  • there is a telephone number and price in the picture

i THINK he is currently trying to place an add and having issues - but you can call the number if you are interested
  • Gotcha, thanks
  • I see a second tang on the mast, wonder if it's a spin boat
  • The gcat 5.7 should have bridle wires on the mast. I'd ask what type of rig he is running as I don't believe that's stock.
  • QuoteThe gcat 5.7 should have bridle wires on the mast. I'd ask what type of rig he is running as I don't believe that's stock.

pretty sure those cushions (he drilled holes into his deck to tie off) on his lid-deck aren't stock either ;)

round here...
    we customize our 20+ year old cats to make them "work" for our style of sailing
    unless it's a "barn find" that needs to stay "stock"

we make em as fast or comfortable as we want

some are set for speed
    some for comfort

I wouldn't be surprised if that second tang was there to aid with stepping the mast - i use my spin halyard every time to lock/hold my freshly stepped mast until i step off deck and put some turns into my jib / bridal connection
  • QuoteThe gcat 5.7 should have bridle wires on the mast. I'd ask what type of rig he is running as I don't believe that's stock.

I guess you mean diamond wires? My 5.7 has them but I know some have slightly smaller ‘rental rigs’ which I believe do not have diamond wires/spreaders.
  • Yeah, I am almost positive this is a rental boat with short mast and smaller sails. If so, it will be a bit slower than the standard 5.7.
  • Been a bit since I have posted. I recognize that boat. The guy that owned it had a bad back and put the cushions on it for comfort. The second tang is because he used to sail it "Cutter Rigged" with two jibs.

He's the only one I ever saw sail this configuration on a beach cat. icon_cool

--
    Steve Fisherkeller
    P19MX
    --
  • stevefisherkellerBeen a bit since I have posted. I recognize that boat. The guy that owned it had a bad back and put the cushions on it for comfort. The second tang is because he used to sail it "Cutter Rigged" with two jibs.

He's the only one I ever saw sail this configuration on a beach cat. icon_cool

Is it different than the rig ShortPants Dave used to fly 2 jibs?

The seller was less than excited when i suggested he post it on this site - i told him to look up the site and feel to contact me by my screen name MN3. I said "that was my job in the navy". He sparked up a bit and said "i used to build subs!" - I replied "I used to sink em :)"

Edited by MN3 on Jun 19, 2018 - 05:21 PM.
  • The boat is clearly well cared for. I like his solution to a mast cradle.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaThe boat is clearly well cared for. I like his solution to a mast cradle.

I did too till I saw it was hanging on the rudder gugions
    One big pothole and that’s a lot of sheer force

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.