Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Towing a Cat with a Cat  Bottom

• I have seen three dismasted cats in the last year or so... the last one nearing dark on the lake last night. I saw a vessel sitting low in the water with someone hollering and waving a flag... with few other boats in sight, we diverted to check it out. On closer inspection, it was a Prindle 16 with the rig on the tramp.

We sailed close enough to communicate, and saw a powerboat seemingly heading over at low speed, so we offered to check with the powerboaters, and double back to assist as necessary. The powerboat was indeed heading over (slowly), so after standing off nearby and ensuring solution, we went on our way.

As it was, we were pretty late off the water that night, and a tow would have made that even longer... but it begs the question of how to properly execute a rescue tow.

Randii (I think i'd just use the anchoring bridle I have to put the load on the ends of my main crossbeam, and advise the same on their end.... maybe use my stretchy nylon anchor rope to cushion that connection.)
  • For long distances, connect the tow to the bows of the towed boat and center line and as close to the pivot point on your towing boat as possible. For shorter distances and where maneuverability is critical, tie up to the "hip" (quarter) of the towed boat. That way your prop(s) and rudders work as if part of the other boat.

There's lots of information on towing on the internet so a search should find some info for you.

FYI, the Hawaiian voyaging canoe "Hokule'a" traveled thousands of miles up and down the ICW towed by a 20-ish foot power cat ( http://www.hokulea.com/ ).

Edited by gobigkahuna on Jun 04, 2018 - 10:00 PM.
  • Tie off from rear crossbar on the towing boat to the front crossbar of the towed boat. The boat being towed will need to steer to maintain alignment with the towing boat. I would not tie off to the bridle tangs at the bow since they’re generally not designed to be pulled forward. Also, tying off to the crossbar allows you quick access to untie the tow line if needed.

If towing with another sailboat, I doubt you would be able to make much, if any, windward progress due to all of the excess drag from the boat being towed. So hopefully there is some place to land crosswind or downwind to at least get the disabled boat off the water.

sm
  • i have towed demasted cats many times
    i have been towed a few too

I use my anchor line when towed (i take off the anchor) - but it's already attached to the bow's (the best way to be towed imho) - as mentioned ... you will need to steer the towed boat ... so 1 person stays aboard - everyone else on the towing cat (room permitting)

when towing - i create a little "v" or bridal off my rear beam
    then i tie the tow line to the V with a knot i can untie quickly with just a tug (incase something goes wrong and i need to get free quick)

towing a cat upwind or downwind is not a big deal unless it is full of water (weight) then it can be a bit of a struggle

remember your cat was designed for it's own weight + 2 people
    adding another boat and additional people adds a lot of stress to your boat - be gentle
    edit - i have seen one guy (on this site) tow a demasted shorty h16 in - flying the hull the entire time ... laughing .. and the guy "never sailed that fast" ... but ....

Edited by MN3 on Jun 05, 2018 - 07:30 PM.
  • http://asnstudios.com/images/quick-pin.jpg

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.