Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any other sail fit on an H17?  Bottom

• I would guess I know the answer, but hoping maybe there is something . . .

I am looking for a newer sail for my H17 SE (1988) but these seem to be hard to find. Anyone know if an H17 Sport sail will fit? Or, is anything else in the ballpark? I know the 17 has its own unique set up so I am thinking no, but thought it worth asking. Thanks.
  • A Hobie 17 Sport sail will definitely fit. The original Sport sails (late '80's to mid-90's) had a mini Harken traveler attached to the clew where you would attach the main blocks. This allowed the sail to be used without a boom. Otherwise, it is the exact same sail as a standard Hobie 17 main. Later, Hobie did away with the Harken traveler and made a universal sail that could be run either with or without the standard, full-length boom (same sail for the SE or the Sport). So the 17 Sport sail will work fine, but if you get one of the original versions, you would not be able to use your boom without removing the Harken traveler and having a standard clew plate installed.

As for other sails, I think you're probably on your own for that one. I'm sure there are sails out there that will fit, but the likelihood of them working well is pretty small. The 17 sailplan is fairly unique because the forward end of the clew comes so close to the tramp and the foot is cut upward at a high angle to allow you to get under the back of the boom. Any other sail would probably have to be modified to work properly.

sm
  • I have a square top sail that I picked up last fall - I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will write after I try it.

Lakeemma

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.