Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

carbon fiber spin pole  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• what are you guys and gals using to protect your carbon fiber spin poles from the suns rays? while not damaged i can see where the sun is staring to work on the carbon fiber pole.
    thanx \ejb

--
    NACRA 6.0
    Chrysler Bucaneer 18 dinghy
    --
  • 303 aerospace protectant available at Murrays Sports. Pete
  • yfes i use 303 on my 2000 ford ranger. the dash still looks great. i was thinking of a uv protector paint probably in a light color. the carbon fiber being black and in the sun raises the temp and can damage the fiber and chemical bond. i read that on the internet.
    thanx for the answer.
    ejb

--
    NACRA 6.0
    --
  • Rustoleum spray paint... Still holding 2 years on
  • 303 is good stuff

Although it wont break the bank (around $10 a bottle), it is more expensive then a can of the best quality spray paint and is a temporary solution

It requires reapplying it from time to time, and you never know when it has worn off
    also if heat is an issue - it does nothing to mitigate that

I would recommend you buy a can of white Krylon or Rustolium
    Paint will eliminate UV and if you use white or other light color, it will greatly reduce the heat buildup that occurs in sunlight

Edited by MN3 on Apr 28, 2018 - 07:35 AM.
  • i think the light paint would probably be the best shot and protect the pole. it does get very hot to touch and is showing signs of damage from the sun.
    i assume the Krylon or Rustolium have uv protection.
    thanx for the info.
    ejb

i don't know how to add this but i sail a NACRA 6.0 and a Chrysler Bucaneer 18.

--
    NACRA 6.0
    --
  • all paints with pigment will help to block UV

think about your car - the paint helps to protect the metal from uv, rain and even caustic elements like road salts and acid rain (with limits and periodic cleaning)
  • Quotei don't know how to add this but i sail a NACRA 6.0 and a Chrysler Bucaneer 18.

While logged-in visit any forum page.
    At the top of the forums click on the link ”Personal Settings” (top right)
    Click on “Manage Your Signature”
    Type your signature in the box

Side note: where do you sail?
  • Quotei assume the Krylon or Rustolium have uv protection.

If you reeeealy wanna "beat the UV" - krylon and rustolium also makes a UV clear coat.
    Applying that after you use the white paint (or other color) you will protect the paint from uv damage, which will extend the life of the paint

- this may be overkill but here on the face of the sun (aka florida) ... sun damage is just a matter of time ... regardless of the material

only caveat - read the reviews - these products aren't perfect ("if recoated at the wrong time, it may wrinkle blister or crack. Simply put, to apply a second coat, the first coat must be very dry or very wet - never in between. To fix this, try sanding the surface, wait 24 hours and apply again.")

Edited by MN3 on Apr 28, 2018 - 08:44 AM.
  • that sounds good mn3. i will try that clear after the white .
    thanx to all for the suggestions

--
    NACRA 6.0
    --
  • I had a black carbon fiber spin pole. I would take a lint free rag and apply a thin even coat of a product called Penetrol. Also used it on my spars and cross bars. Keeps black fiber and anodized looking new.

Edited by 911hobie on Apr 29, 2018 - 09:43 PM.
  • thanx 911 hobie.
    i apologise mn3 i didn't see you asked where i sail. presently i don't since both boats are projects. the Bucaneer i usually sail during the week at Julington Creek boat ramp during the week i just can't deal with jet ski nerds and the general power boats at the ramp. i and presently looking for a place to launch especially the 6.0
    i checked the Rudder Club but they are a bit pricey for a retiree.
    the 6.0 is a bit much to set up and sail by myself. raising the mast , all 31'8" is a bit much for a old coot.
    both projects are coming along and the cat is awaiting a order fro APS tomorrow .
    should get them wet soon.
    thanx

--
    NACRA 6.0
    --
  • Quote I would take a lint free rag and apply a thin even coat of a product called Penetrol

Jim,
    I never heard of using this stuff.
    Any side effects? (i.e. slippery on beams, fade tramp or stain sails?

https://www.flood.com/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=098cb2c8-b8ba-4f6c-b282-e94810e579fa

PENETROL® Oil-Based Coating Additive is a versatile low-odor additive to improve penetration, adhesion and flow of oil-based paints, stains, varnishes and primers.
    Improves penetration and adhesion to compensate for weathering on surface
    Improves flow to reduce brush marks; extends open and working times
    Restores luster to faded, weathered fiberglass
    Inhibits rust on metal surfaces
  • MN3,
    I have used Penetrol for years to protect the wooden parts on my boats. If you sand the wood down to bare wood then apply a couple of coats (just wipe the wood down with a rag dipped in the Penetrol) and it will look awesome with minimum effort. Then you just wipe it down with a fresh coat about ounce a season, no more crappy looking gray wood. Penetrol goes on oily but will cure to a stiff rubbery coat. Don't get it on your sails, not sure how you would get it off without damaging them. I have personally never used it on metal or carbon fiber, but have heard of other people using it in that way.
  • wood? haha
    there is not 1 molecule of "wood" on any of my boats typically.

if there Ever is ... it's likely a fallen leaf or Australian Pine seed that falls on while on an island stop (and boy are they painful to step on)

https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/164232358/585020056/stock-photo-casuarina-seed-cones-an-australian-pine-type-tree-seed-585020056.jpg

but thanks for the info

Edited by MN3 on Apr 30, 2018 - 09:56 AM.
  • My cats don't have wood either but we have (and had) some other boats that have wood. We currently have a Puffer that has wooden seats, I don't sail it much, hate it, but the kids like to sail it. I also used to have a 30ft Hunter on the Chesapeake Bay, had a lot of wood on it, total pain in the ass...Penetrol helped with that suffering...

Edited by wvsailingnut on Apr 30, 2018 - 10:38 AM.
  • So, to be clear, this stuff is an additive for oil based paint, yet you can use it directly on the anodized parts and even on the fiberglass? May have to give this a try if it really works.

Edited by martyr on Apr 30, 2018 - 04:36 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • martyrSo, to be clear, this stuff is an additive for oil based paint, yet you can use it directly on the anodized parts and even on the fiberglass? May have to give this a try if it really works.

and it's a floor wax and dessert topping icon_lol

https://www.nbc.com/satur…/shimmer-floor-wax/n8625
  • wvsailingnutMy cats don't have wood either but we have (and had) some other boats that have wood. We currently have a Puffer that has wooden seats, I don't sail it much, hate it, but the kids like to sail it. I also used to have a 30ft Hunter on the Chesapeake Bay, had a lot of wood on it, total pain in the ass...Penetrol helped with that suffering...

I was just giving you some grief

i know lots of boats have lots of woodwork and all need kept up on

i used to sail boats made out of steel - they were a lot of work too :)
  • Bwahaha, that was hilarious!!! Its delicious!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.