Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 15  Bottom

• Hello! What do you think about Hobie 15? I can't find any reviews. It is possible to buy it cheap. I'm going to sail it sometimes single handed, sometimes double handed. My weight is about 80 kg. No plans for racing, I'm sailing just for fun. I have very limited catamaran experience. Most of the time I sailing sport boat.
  • Are you in the US? No Hobie 15s sold here. Did you mean 16? We have plenty of those.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • ctcatamanAre you in the US? No Hobie 15s sold here. Did you mean 16? We have plenty of those.

No, I'm from Europe.
  • If you plan to sail with two people, a cat with a jib would be easier. The H15 was designed for one person. To tack it well with just the main requires you both to move with specific timing. It is less forgiving in a tack than sloop rigged cats. Not a deal killer, just a consideration.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • https://www.hobie.com/xe/en/sail/hobie-15

Thanks for posting, I never knew much about them. Roughly same length and weight as a Hobie 16, but 40sq feet less in main/jib area which should make it pretty manageable. Looks like a little more volume in the bows than a 16. I am very curious about the replaceable skeg, kind of cool for a rental fleet if it works. I think the 700 lb weight capacity is a stretch, but even if it’s 350 for recreational performance that’s great. Jib blocks aren’t adjustable but no biggie. No boom which is great. Looks like roller furling jib is standard which is great. Option to add a spinnaker down the road. Looks like a great boat, good luck. Sorry I don’t post with metric units

Edited by jalex on Feb 28, 2018 - 08:54 PM.
  • They are very good boats, especially for for the less advanced sailors. They carry 2 people,(as long as both are not grossly obese) well, are easy to rig/sail, & as durable as the ubiquitous Hobie Wave.
    I have sailed several days on them in the Caribbean.
    The replaceable skegs are not required for most peoples use. Resorts use them as they run the boats hard onto the beach a dozen times/day. They are shaped sort like an inverted "T", giving a good amount of surface to take the wear, & prevent the skeg hull from digging into the sand.
    I don't know what the cost is in your area, & "cheap" depends on what your snack bracket is. For a novice sailor, just out for fun, it is probably a better boat than a 5 metre Nacra, & it handled myself & wife fine.

Edited by Edchris177 on Feb 28, 2018 - 08:10 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • @Edchris177, where in the Caribbean did you sail these? I have sailed some of the rotomolded boat by Hobie. This is a fiberglass boat though. I have not seen it before.

Edited by yelkenli1 on Feb 28, 2018 - 10:35 PM.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Thanks to everyone! Now I think H15 is right choice for me. Will buy it if boat is in good shape.
  • Quote where in the Caribbean did you sail these?

There are a bunch of them in Cuba. The Cuban resorts used to have fleets of Bytes, because they were built in Canada. (Due to the economic embargo, they historically could not source equipment from the USA).
    Eventually they got into Cats, & I have seen these Hobies at numerous resorts. IIRC, I was told they came from France.
    I hadn't seen one either, & was intrigued by the orange "stripe" along the keel. Beach guy said they were quite durable, & after sailing a few, they were more powerful, (and fun), than the more common Wave.
    Personally, I would rather have either of my Nacras, but for a novice level sailor, they are simple rigs, fairly fast, & would be a great boat for a couple to just cruise around on.
    I don't know what weight is required to right them, I never splashed it.

Edited by Edchris177 on Mar 01, 2018 - 08:41 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.