Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

West system epoxy and filler  Bottom

• I amusing a filler made by evercoat it is a poly filler I believe it is best for the west system polyester resin. I bought it at the marine and they said it will work. I have already used a half of a quarter over the eposy resin areas and it seems to look ok.I have been reading that one should use only the epoxy filler.also I will be using brightside interlux paint and I will be spraying.my question on spraying can I use the home Depot gravity flow sprayer? Also I was going to use a primer that they recommend from the marine store. Any thoughts will be appreciated.Thanks

--
    Tom Bainbridge, Ga. Hobie16, prindle 18.2
    --
  • Tom that wasn't the most coherent post but I'll do my best to answer:

1) Polyester filler shrinks when it cures, so you have to let it cure at least a week before shooting paint
    2) Epoxy filler shrinks a tiny bit but it also doesn't off gas. Still recommended to wait a week for a top quality finish but you could spray over it in as little as 48 hours.

As to spray guns, gravity feed HVLP or possibly a bit better, an old fashioned high volume high pressure gun with lots of over spray from harbor freight will work if you have a big enough air compressor to drive it. I'm not sure if you are going with paint or gelcoat, for pain you will want to use the recommended primer. Also, 2k paint is poisonous to spray so you either need a booth or you have to be working outside with a GOOD cartridge respirator or better yet forced air system. Gelcoat is far more durable than 1k paints and that is what I would go with for a full hull job on an older boat, if its something you want to last I would take it in to the local autobody shop and see if they will spray a nice 2k paint for you.
  • Quote I believe it is best for the west system polyester resin.

West system is an epoxy, not a polyester - they can both be used but have different characteristics - https://epoxyworks.com/in…-fiberglass-boat-repair/

West system has an entire line of fillers
    from sanding filler to adhesive filler to thickening filler and more

they work very well and not sure why you would need to go with another brand - this stuff was made specifically for the west sytem epoxy

that being said - PROBABLY any brand will work as advertised

https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/fillergroup-300x300.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Feb 26, 2018 - 01:05 PM.
  • Depends on what you're trying to do. For filling in cosmetic surface imperfections before painting/gelcoating, Evercoat Formula 27 (I think what the OP referred to) is generally the way to go. It is a thick paste that is similar to Bondo and cures very quickly. You can be sanding the stuff 20-30 minutes after mixing it whereas epoxy generally needs to cure overnight at a minimum before sanding. For structural applications like fillets or bonding, epoxy is the way to go.
  • Yes cosmetic filling .I wish I knew how to post photos of my work.I have been taken alot of photos. I would like to go with gelcoat but I want to try that Brite side roll and tip. So far I have finished one hull except for final sanding on filler. Then I will go over it again to check for rough spots using a light in the dark. It is amazing how it will show blemishes.This is a great site and I appreciate all the advice from good folks.I hope to donate some money to Damon soon . He does a great job and I love his Facebook beachcats site.Thank again.

--
    --
  • BTW I decided not to spray. I will try the roll and tip.

--
    --
  • ecYes cosmetic filling .I wish I knew how to post photos of my work.I have been taken alot of photos. I would like to go with gelcoat but I want to try that Brite side roll and tip. So far I have finished one hull except for final sanding on filler. Then I will go over it again to check for rough spots using a light in the dark. It is amazing how it will show blemishes.This is a great site and I appreciate all the advice from good folks.I hope to donate some money to Damon soon . He does a great job and I love his Facebook beachcats site.Thank again.

Tom, next time take a look at 3M Dynaglass... Don't let the word Bondo fool you...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • QuoteDepends on what you're trying to do. For filling in cosmetic surface imperfections before painting/gelcoating, Evercoat Formula 27 (I think what the OP referred to) is generally the way to go

Gotcha - thanks

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.