Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Iceboat Sailing  Bottom

• Would really like to see this make it to the winter olympics one day. Apparrently one of the conditions is the sport has to be practiced on a competitive level in at least 25 countries on 3 continents which has held it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRSw73AC4gk

Edited by jalex on Feb 15, 2018 - 09:08 AM.
  • Ice sailing is a blast, and one of the biggest thrill rides you can ever enjoy. I think a huge problem with the sport is that it requires a frozen lake and ideal conditions. Very few Olympic sites could reliably have a frozen body of water for a competition.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaIce sailing is a blast, and one of the biggest thrill rides you can ever enjoy. I think a huge problem with the sport is that it requires a frozen lake and ideal conditions. Very few Olympic sites could reliably have a frozen body of water for a competition.

I have been waiting for years to try it.
    Do they ever do a demo here in florida?
    It's way too cold for me up north. I gave up the cold years ago
  • If you have never ice sailed, you just don't know what you've missed. It is a bigger adrenaline rush than land sailing, though if I had a suitable area, I'd have a land buggy.
    Out West, we have an active club on Ghost Reservoir, west of Calgary, & a few on a lake further south, just west of me.
    The cold isn't an issue, you can buy adequate snowmobile gear for a lot less than drysuits.
    The boats are pretty small, easy to move/store etc, & lines, controls are dead simple. Anyone with basic skills can build a DN for not much money. Quite a few people break them down between trips, they assemble much quicker/easier than even a Hobie Wave.
    Then you go sailing... HOLY SH*T Batman!!
    A Cat in 5kts is pretty boring,(though much better than a mono), even 10kts really isn't a great thrill. 10kts in an ice boat will have your heart pumping, 15-20, you better have your blood pressure pills handy.

Edited by Edchris177 on Feb 17, 2018 - 07:25 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • double post

Edited by Edchris177 on Feb 17, 2018 - 07:32 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.