Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Bridle Fly Tape  Bottom

• We had some cassette tape melt onto the deck of the Tornado last year. It was hard to clean it off.

How often do you need to replace cassette / VCR tape used as a bridle fly? Ours is stored mast up in-season and sees sun.

Has anyone tried surveyors flagging tapes? About 4X thicker than cassette tape. Under 2 dollars per roll. Nice color selection, some are highly visible.

Conditions are 10-15 wind with shifts, and swells. So a slightly heavier tape is probably OK.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I stole some light fabric strips from the sewing box at home. Worked great, just tied them in. if I remember I take them out for winter storage and they will last a couple seasons or more. I stole enough for the next decade... icon_smile
    For my sails tell tales I cut stips out of a piece of light rip-stop nylon and stucked them with dacron repair tape. Those have lasted forever.
  • QuoteWe had some cassette tape melt onto the deck of the Tornado last year. It was hard to clean it off.

how did it get in contact with the deck? did it slide down the bridal?

here on the face of the sun (aka fl), i haven' t experienced that ever, even with mast up on the beach for a few days in the crazy sun/heat

what i do experience is the sun/salt wearing the color off the tape and leaving me with a strip of clear cassette tape = worthless as a tell tale

I think if you just tape it better in place, it shouldn't ever come in contact with a hull (unless you have 4' of tape - which may be a bit overkill)
  • QuoteI stole some light fabric strips from the sewing box at home. Worked great, just tied them in.

yea, sailors have been using strands of yarn forever - i have used it - works great on stays
  • They slid down. Knotting wasn't enough. Will add tape to hold up high.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • ctcatamanWe had some cassette tape melt onto the deck of the Tornado last year. It was hard to clean it off.

Second MN3, I've never seen cassette or VHS tape melt to the boat, it's surprisingly durable.

The Tornado is painted? Maybe the tape reacted with the paint and doesn't with gelcoat, just guessing.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • ctcatamanThey slid down. Knotting wasn't enough. Will add tape to hold up high.

clove hitch knot worked fine
  • It is a painted deck. That may explain it.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • QuoteIt is a painted deck. That may explain it.

tape is: magnetizable coating on a long, narrow strip of plastic film
    could be a chemical reaction

do you sail in fresh or salt water?

What kind of paint to you have on your deck?
  • Andinista
    I sent you a PM - doesn't look like you've seen it yet
  • We sail in salt water. Jamestown Top side, and it yellow.

Edited by ctcataman on Jan 30, 2018 - 08:18 PM.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • ctcatamanWe sail in salt water. Jamestown Top side, and it yellow.Edited by ctcataman on Jan 30, 2018 - 08:18 PM.

Thanks for the info

i will try to avoid this experiment on my imron hulls or awgrip spars - thanks for sharing this data

one more question
    one part or 2 part paint?

Edited by MN3 on Jan 30, 2018 - 08:07 PM.
  • One part paint.

I will try flagging tape and report back in May.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • QuoteOne part paint.

thanks for the info - my paint was 2 part, and is grey (hot) - i will continue to avoid this situation

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.