Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 newer style integrated rear beams used on H14  Bottom

• Does anybody know if this will work? Think you can cut off several inches on each end.
  • Both boats use the same basic extrusions and corner castings, but since the 14 is six inches narrower, the crossbars are shorter.

Since the rear crossbar is straight, cutting the 16 crossbar shorter would work, but in addition to cutting it to length, you would need to cut or grind off the portion of “sail track” where the crossbar inserts into the corner castings to allow full insertion.

For the front crossbar, you would need to check to see of the curve is the same or close enough between the 14 and 16. They probably are, but I would lay one on top of the other if possible to check before cutting. Again, you would need to remove the sail track from the extrusion where it inserts into the corner casting. You would also need to modify the dolphin striker rod for the shorter beam.

sm
  • The 14 wouldn't use the front beams so that shouldn't be considered. The jib blocks on the 14 Turbo are on the trampoline and you would have to seriously re-cut the jib to put the blocks on cars on the front beam. It really just never works. I highly recommend against that conversion.

On the back beam, I do agree that you can cut off a few inches on either side, but you might run into fitment issues with the traveler replacement cover plate. I would cut off the other side to make it the correct size then grind out the track as suggested before. That would be the cleanest. However, you would also then have to drill new holes for the traveler swivel cam cleat and the eyelet on the back of the beam. When finished, you would have some extra holes (offset by the amount you cut off), but you would be able to swap out a broken traveler without removing the beam from the corner castings.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.