Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Lubricate mast channel?  Bottom

• Is there something I can use to lubricate the mast channel that won't damage the sail? The main sail is very sticky going up, which is a pain, and coming down to reef, which could be dangerous.

Thanks.
  • Pledge
  • What make is the boat, all have some type of problems along the way. Is the batten tension to tight? do you have one of those god awful sail guides that some H-16s have in the sail track with the sharp edges, if it a P-16 P-18 check the mast head sheave and see if they need replacing, is the bolt rope in the luff of the main still attached at the tack of the sail if it comes loose it will creep upwards and become larger and that will make the sail more difficult to raise. Is it a larger cat with an internal halyard that pulls from the base of the mast and if so it could be another set of problems. Every thing I have mentioned is very easy to remedy. Just post the type of boat you have when you have a question and you would probably get more and faster replies.
  • The boat is a '78 Hobie 16 with "one of those god awful sail guides that some H-16s have in the sail track with the sharp edges." The sail goes up okay until a little before it reaches the reef stop (not sure what you call the swage on the cable). After passing the reef stop it is very difficult to get the rest of the way up. Same goes for taking it down, very difficult until a little ways past the reef line.

edited by: NOVA-Cat, Jun 05, 2008 - 04:46 PM
  • I had a similar problem on my Hobie 21. The advice I was given, which seemed to solve my problem, was that the bolt rope shrinks over time and the sail fabric over it bunches up and jams in the mast track. The solution offered was to cut the stitching at the bottom of the sail where the bolt rope is sewn inside the sail. I didn't do anything else. But after a while you might get it sewn back in. Good luck and let us know.

Charles
  • Make sure that both stops are outside of the mast track. If one is on the inside just tie the end of the rope halyard to the end of the wire halyard and pull it to the top of the mast so it can come out, once they are both on the outside just pull the halyard back to its normal place. Also, remove that god awful sail guide, fill the holes with silicone and just put the screws back in. Let us know if these take care of the problem.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.