Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need 4" CONTOURED inspection ports ! Can't find them....  Bottom

• Does anyone know where I could purchase CONTOURED 4" inspection ports I can't find them anywhere. The ones on my 5.2 are shot.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Got mine from Murray's online. They are great and have a lot of Factory Nacra stuff.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • I checked on the Murrys website . They only have the flat ones. Maybe I should call them to see if they may be able to locate some.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Yeah I would call. I got contoured from them about 6 months ago.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Just went online to Murray's. They still show them available. Here is the part #'s.
    Product Description

Contoured 4″ hatch 2-Port Kit

Each Contoured 4″ hatch 2-Port kit includes two deck rings and two lids. The deck ring has a contoured (curved) surface for leak-free installation on a curved deck. The kit includes two ports (hatches), nylon fasteners, silicone sealant and instructions. Cat Bags are not included.

Use this page to order hatch cover kits:

#01-1164BK Black; Compare to Hobie Cat® #5352B.
    #01-1164WH White; Compare to Hobie Cat® #5352W.

Contoured Port Rings:

The underside of port deck rings are contoured to approximate the symmetrical “dome” shape of decks on most Hobie Cats, NACRAs, Prindles etc. That curvature is not perfect for all catamarans, some care must be taken to shape the deck or fill/bed the ring with sealant. Distorting the ring shape to fit the hull will not work. The port will fail to seal properly.

Edited by saltlife77 on Oct 26, 2017 - 08:23 PM.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • "This product is currently out of stock and unavailable."
    But dude thanks for the effort! I have googled them to no avail. I will call Murrays tomorrow and check on when they may be available again . Thanks again. George

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Saltlife77, I found ones that are made for the hobie 16 on Amazon. Hobie Part # V1130. It looks like they will fit. Going to give them a try,. Thanks

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Theres a dude selling non contoured ones on ebay for super cheap. Got some and they are viking brand. They work fine for the front ports. I just used a bunch of sealant under the sides for the small gap. The ones near the dagger board and behind the rear beam its too curved and you'd have to fill the gap more or sand the port ring down and contour it yourself with a dremel or something.

Like you I couldnt really find them at a good price. West coast sailing I got some from once but their website naming is random and depending on if you search for port or hatch or whatever it brings up different products so I couldn't find them again.
  • I just bought a two pack "kit" of them from these folks as when I tried to purchase from Murrays they were out. Stock in the field is all that's left for now. Note, I even tried the original manufacturer, Viking, to no avail.

https://www.strictlysailinc.com/

http://www.vikingmfg.com/

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Another potential option would be to open up the hole to 5" diameter. 5" ports are much easier to get your arm into either when doing repairs or just grabbing stuff out of the hull while on the water. My old Hobie 17 had 4" ports and my arms would always get scraped up on the inside of the ring when reaching into the hull.

sm
  • west marine caries a few brands but their in store stock is not very dependable
  • How many ports are in that boat? Nacras only came with one on each hull behind the rear beam
    tamumpower1Theres a dude selling non contoured ones on ebay for super cheap. Got some and they are viking brand. They work fine for the front ports. I just used a bunch of sealant under the sides for the small gap. The ones near the dagger board and behind the rear beam its too curved and you'd have to fill the gap more or sand the port ring down and contour it yourself with a dremel or something.

Like you I couldnt really find them at a good price. West coast sailing I got some from once but their website naming is random and depending on if you search for port or hatch or whatever it brings up different products so I couldn't find them again.

MN3west marine caries a few brands but their in store stock is not very dependable
  • Murrays sent customers a notice that Viking was going out of business, and offered a sale early this summer. The people that made the nice contoured ports are no longer in business as far as I know. I have treated my ports with marine paint so they won't deteriorate.

Hope you find some replacements.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • [quote=HULLFLYER]How many ports are in that boat? Nacras only came with one on each hull behind the rear beam[quote=tamumpower1]

My 5.2 has 4

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • HULLFLYERHow many ports are in that boat? Nacras only came with one on each hull behind the rear beam

Mine has 3 per hull. One in front and behind the dagger board and one behind the rear beam. When you have a nacra as old as mine I'm pretty sure you had to have them to build the boat. It's a stringer hull so it's in 2 halves. You'd need access to finish the dagger board trunks once it was together I figure. Totally possible they were added later but all the once I've seen online have the same ports as mine. The rear one is obviously for the rudder bolts since nacra doesn't do the glassed in plate to tap into like the hobies.
  • Even the first one built only had the 2 behind the rear beam. The other indicate there were issues with the boat. Most likely were dagger board well leaks and bolt failures related to the SS straps holing the beams.
  • Both were common problems as the boats got older. The first boats were glass layup construction and later were foam sandwich
  • Old trick to shape the hatches to the deck, JB weld, or any other epoxy putty, just apply around flange, press into deck hole, scrape off excess, wait to harden, drill fastener holes and go sailing. I did this on my Tornado and worked just fine.
  • Received the contoured ports today . They are made for the Hobie 16 ( Hobie Part # V1130) but fit my Nacra 5.2 perfectly. Thanks for all the input fellow sailors top

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.