Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Composite Board  Bottom

• Ok, not catamaran related, but I have a beautiful little monohull, a Coronado 15 and just acquired a trailer for it. The bunks are composite board that are ribbed on top and there is no carpet like material on it. The composite board is plastic and it seems like it is fine for a fiberglass boat.

What do you think, would you line it with bunk board carpet material, if so how would you attach, I don't think a staple will go through it. I guess I could glue it.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Attach indoor/outdoor carpeting using contact cement?

sm
  • +1
  • Your local Ace Hardware store may have aluminum siding nails. Maybe predrill and cut the nails shorter.
    With the usual caveat that I work at the local store.
  • I had trouble getting indoor/outdoor carpet cement to adhere bunk carpet to plastic cradles on my trailer. Had very good and faster adhesion with Gorilla glue heavy duty construction adhesive. Comes in a caulking tube and was easy to apply. Also was waterproof and had a short setup time. Has held up well at the one year mark with constant weather exposure and frequent use. Bought it at Home Depot but Lowe's probably also has it.

Edited by spoulton on Oct 16, 2017 - 10:25 PM.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • QuoteI had trouble getting indoor/outdoor carpet cement to adhere bunk carpet to plastic cradles on my trailer.

I am sure gorilla glue works well
    my needs require the ability to remove the product at some interval (mostly for gaskets) so not sure this glue is the right solution for me - ymmv

I usually use DAP contact cement for both my carpet needs and gaskets under my mystere's.
    I have changed dozens of gaskets over the decade i have owned this brand

I just purchased a qt of CC from FiberGlass Coating Solutions while i was there last week buying some 17' paper and sanding additive (at the suggestion of a local boat guy who claims their "waterproof" CC is superior. we will see)

there is a technique for sure:
    Dry fit all carpet or gaskets - cut/ slit corners to make a better fit if needed

bunks or cradles: apply liberal amount on surface (old glue/crud must be removed - power tools speed this process up) - let dry and repeat (2 - 4 layers)

on the carpet you must brush multiple heavy layers everywhere work it into the groves / mesh on the back side of carpet- let dry and repeat (2 - 4 layers or more if it's being suborn with accepting the glue )

Then you have 1 chance to set it on correctly so if it's big get a helper or use wax paper to place it in the correct spot - if you screw this up and pull the carpet off to reset it - it will fail much faster

let this set up for a day or 2 before you get it wet/slide boats on/off

also this must be done withing the temperature range of the product

if you do this well: the glue should outlast the carpet (carpet will wear away before the glue fails)

gaskets are different - if you turn your boat through sand, or park it and waves rock it on the beach - your gaskets will fail much faster

Edited by MN3 on Oct 17, 2017 - 10:31 AM.
  • Thanks all, I think I will try the Gorilla Glue, will let you know how it goes

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • QuoteI have changed dozens of gaskets over the decade i have owned this brand

Sorry for hi jack...speaking of gaskets, do you, or your buddies need some?
    I've got a roll from the 6.0XL. I don't foresee using it in this lifetime. You can have them.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I would LOVE THEM
    PM sent with mailing address

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.