Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

A slightly long but happy story of a Supercat 17  Bottom

• I've been a fan of Supercat's for a long time because I had a SC-15 as my first cat in 1992. I sold it after just a year because I was moving from Fl to CA with a military move. Well I've been regretting that mistake for a lot of years. Along the way there's been a Vanguard 15 (which I practically stole on a great deal), a Nacra 4.5, a Nacra 5.7 (current boat), and a H-14 (current little boat).

Anyway, after constantly scouring the classifieds like I'm sure we all do, I saw Flipper had dropped the price on his SC-17. After quite a bit of logistical gymnastics we were able to work out a way to get his boat from Houston to Memphis. Here's how it's went down. Usually my job allows a lot of free time. At the moment however I'm in the middle of an intensive training program of about two months. I've talked to Flipper a few times and exchanged many messages. I finally realized that I'd be free of several days this week and we were going to try to meet on the MS coast, about halfway for each of us. As it turned out our free time just missed by about two days. But in our wonderful community of sailors there is a fellow named Johnny Mann.
    He lives on the coast in MS and agreed to let Flipper drop the boat at his house until I could pick it up.

In the meantime, I was dropping off the 5.7 to Doug K in pensacola to get the lawn mower damage repaired and get pretty much a custom refurb at the same time. In coordinating with Johnny, he said he was coming to pensacola anyway and would just haul the SC over there for me. Now I know that Johnny's business in PCola lasted about 30 minutes or less, so really he was just being a good guy. Anyway, Flipper dropped the boat with Johnny, and a couple days later after I finished my business with Doug I met Johnny and got the SC off his hitch and on mine. After a very nice evening with some good friends in PCola, I hauled her home to Memphis the next day.

Here's the best part. I was mostly worried about making sure Flipper felt good about this deal and didn't think I was scammer or something because it took a couple months to find time to work it out. Well, he told me he would just drop off the boat and I could go get it, if all was well send him a check later. That's a lot of trust, but he said he'd never been cheated by a cat sailor yet. Well the boat is just what he said. An 89 Supercat, very solid, needs a bit of TLC, but overall in very good condition for its age and his check is on the way.

This is a long post, but the main thing I wanted to say is that I'm happy we have a close community even if our numbers are pretty spread out. It's a bunch of good folks and I'm happy to a part of this group of people.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • There has been a Supercat 17 on the Greenville, SC craigslist for a few weeks. https://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/d/supercat-17-catamaran/6291490344.html
  • nice!
  • If that one is as good as it looks in the photos it is a great deal and someone needs to buy it NOW

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Tim, nice story, please share with us what is it that you like about the SC, if I understand correctly you like it more than the N5.7? I don't know the SC and will not likely see one around here, but I'm just curious.
  • Very similar to a Nacra in my opinion. Boomless and boardless. I wouldn't say I like either one better on the water, but since it was my first I just wanted to get another SC. For sure the lack of diamond wires and the mast going up without rotating make the SC easier to rig. In my case I think the SC is going to be my local lake boat and when the Nacra is done being painted it's gonna be my travel/race boat. The mower accident and subsequent payment by the owner of the company is letting me get a really nice paint job for just a small amount out of pocket so the 5.7 will be nicer than it ever would have been had it not been damaged.

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I have only been back in the sport for just over a year after about a 20 year layoff. I must say I agree with you 100%. Every Cat Sailor I meet is just an amazing person.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • I know on our beach, we have determined that the cat sailors are far nicer people than the mono-hullers.
    Doubly so for Supercat sailors.
    We have a ranking system that peaks with the Supercat sailors and slightly goes downhill until you get to Hobie cat sailors icon_biggrin

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • I Grew up on a Supercat 17...Love Them. Couldn't find one when I was in the market so I wound up buying the Nacra 450. I really have enjoyed it as a first Cat back into the sport but would always be interested in a Supercat again down the line. I had the opportunity to grow up next to Bill Roberts on Lake Mangonia as a kid and was exposed to many of his designs. Great Cats!!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Great story, glad it all got worked out. Cat sailors are unique, well, because we sail unique boats I guess. Lol.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.