Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

nacra 5.2 question  Bottom

• I am restoring a 5.2 have figured out most of the rigging but have two blocks and cleats on rear beam that I don't know about possibly for barber hauler any help would be great thanks
  • On the rear beam there are usually two clam cleats and two small blocks that are used to adjust the fore and aft position of the jib blocks. Here is an image of my rear beam when it was on the shop table getting reassembled.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124376&g2_serialNumber=4

This is the way I have it setup now, waiting for the replacement Clam Cleats.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128927&g2_serialNumber=4

I am in the process of replacing the plastic Ronstan cleats, they are not up to the simple job of holding this line. The metal 257 Clamcleats are the way to go here. Also note the ash covering my boat right now. The wildfires in the Columbia Gorge are dumping lots of ash on all of us in the Portland, OR region.

The SS straps hold both the fore and aft jib wire and are the turning points for the adjustment line. I have had small blocks attached to this strap before for this adjustment line, but I don't think they are really necessary. This is not an adjustment that ever gets made while actually sailing (IMHO), but one that gets tweaked as you tune your sail setup. Getting the jib blocks in the right spot fore and aft really makes a big difference in your boat speed.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • thanks yep that's what I have only my jib cables are cover the hose which renders the blocks non adjustable will convert back thanks for the pics .Sail fast Sail safe
  • You don't need to eliminate the "hose", maybe just shorten the lengths so you have room to adjust the block position. I have been having trouble finding what we use to call (no disrespect here) whore hose. It was a really heavy duty insulating hose that stood up to abuse. I tried to get some from a local heating contractor and what they use now is no where near durable enough. So what I am going to look for next is spiral plastic like is used for wiring. All I want is to keep this adjustment line next to the jib block wire to stop line fouling and not kill my knees.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.