Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Calif. Old registration question  Bottom

• Ok, so this boat has not been registered since 1995! It has swapped hands many times and I do not want 22 years of penalties. I have NOT gone to the DMV with the info yet but was just wondering what is the smart way to do this. Years ago I did this and did not have a bill of sale from the previous owner and I had to mail a certified letter to him. When to letter was returned unanswered I took it to the DMV and boom done.
    I wonder if the DMV would ever give out address anymore etc.

I do have the option of taking the boat to AZ and then returning here and then registering it here.

I do not want to give the DMV the vessel info until I have a plan.

I only have a bill of sale at this point but I know the seller and theft is not a concern.

Lol, the CF numbers are almost peeled off, I hope they do not fall off while trailering icon_wink

Any thoughts before I wake the sleeping DMV giant?

Edited by afvenom on Aug 28, 2017 - 01:35 PM.

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • In Arizona, the Game and Fish Department stopped registering beachcats in 2000, as long as they do not have a motor. AZ will require you to register the trailer, but you are not going to get any paperwork that will help you in CA with the cat.
    Call the CA DMV and see what they say about your situatioon.

From the web:
    Procedures for CA Boat Registration

The California DMV allows you to register your boat in person OR by mail. If you recently moved to CA with a vessel currently registered in another state, you must register your boat with the CA DMV within 120 days of your arrival.
    To register your boat, first gather the following items:
    A completed Application for Registration Number, Certificate of Ownership, and Certificate of Number for Undocumented Vessel (Form BOAT 101).
    Any of the following proof of ownership documents:
    The out-of-state title.
    A bill of sale.
    A conditional sales contract (original or certified copy) marked "paid" and countersigned. Must include purchaser's name and any lien holders.
    The bond for the vessel if it's valued at $2000 or more.
    Payment for any applicable registration fees.

To complete the registration process you can:
    Take the items above in person to your local California DMV office.
    OR
    Mail the required items to:
    Department of Motor Vehicles
    P.O. Box 942869
    Sacramento, CA 94269

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I'ts out of the system; you won't pay old fees. Pete
  • Pete, any idea how long that window has to be? One of my motorcycles is hopefully nearing that age of out-of-system-ness...

My ex-wife and I disagreed on its status, and the subsequent fee snowball would be considerable. I'd be better off swapping all the bits to a parts bike I own that's non-opped correctly.

Randii
  • The Prindle 18 I got two years ago was a similar situation.... it was not registered since 1997..... I got a Bill of Sale from the seller along with a statement of fact from them that a.) the boat has been sitting and was not used, b.) they were the legal owner of the boat and trailer c.) they had lost the trailer registration. We did have a title for the boat, but the trailer had a PTI plate and there was no paperwork..

Both the CF# and the PTI had dropped out of the system so we had to start fresh..

You can download the form here and note section C

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/5a40cbcc-a9a9-4a42-ac43-a8564fa552c0/reg256.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=5a40cbcc-a9a9-4a42-ac43-a8564fa552c0

You can get the Bill of Sale here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/b04d574c-a959-4160-953b-faf62a66cd3a/reg135.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Go online, make an appointment with the DMV, have both of these filled out nice and neat a long with the titles, bring the boat and trailer with you incase they want to do a VIN verification and all should go smooth. Or head on over to your local AAA office if you're a member office and they'll do the DMV work too.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • John ,having a title makes the transfer and rego a lot easier.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • onekiwiJohn ,having a title makes the transfer and rego a lot easier.

Congratulations on your promotion... do we call you Captain Obvious or just Capt? icon_lol

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Yeah I could see how having a title such as prince, or duke , or KING, would make things easier. Lol!!! icon_biggrin
    Just call me Captain Cattywampus!

Edited by martyr on Aug 31, 2017 - 09:58 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.