Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 Should I???  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi people, I have been lurking here for years finally joined and have a question or two:

This boat has sat unused for 22 years mostly covered.

I have a chance to buy this 1983 Nacra 5.8 (with an awesome trailer with really nice fiberglass catbox) for $100, the hulls are in awesome shape as is most everything else except the running rigging and....

The catbox was broken into and it is missing the main, boom and one daggerboard.

I am quite adept at mechanical things and have been a lifelong H16/14 and Monohull Sailer and feel I could easily make this boat very nice but am worried about the cost to replace the missing parts. I only want used parts as this is just a project to cruise Mission bay in San Diego for fun.

I understand the issues with pre-85's such as the hull weight, rudders, crummy traveler etc, but I am willing to live with its shortcomings.

MY CONCERN:

I have browsed all kinds of classifieds and can find very little used 5.8 parts for sale and cannot afford new.

Is there just no market for these boats and parts any more?

Do you have any ideas and are any parts cross-compatible from other boats?

Thanks,

Pat

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • On eBay there's is a guy in Dickinson Texas that lists a load of old catamaran parts. Can't miss him. If you message him for something specific at times he's told me yea I have a boat with that on it in the yard just haven't gotten around to listing it yet. Might be worth a try.

Another guy is salt city sailing that also lists on eBay. Mostly the tramps wth the colored vinyl on the edges but when I needed a updated mast base for my nacra he was the only guy that had a used one. He has a actual little shop in SLC near my buddies place and has a ton of old stuff stocked up.

Beyond that understand that if you step back all these boats are so simple almost nothing is that proprietary that it can't be updated or something else used in its place. If you have the hulls, beams, and mast you are pretty much ok. What sort of parts are you worried you can't find anyway?
  • tamumpower1
    What sort of parts are you worried you can't find anyway?

I guess I am over thinking this a bit, I will need the Main, Boom, 1 Dagger and hopefully a newer rudder setup. I will buy a new tramp from SLO. The Included Custom Jib seems small to me.

Well, the great trailer and cat box are worth much more the $100 haha

I will likely want to replace the standing rigging as I had a pretty scary incident 7 miles offshore solo in 20 foot swells (I trusted old standing rigging and well......guess the rest. PORTABLE VHF IS YOUR FRIEND)

I thought I could find anything on the internet and have not seen any of these items (yet).

I know this boat is old, but I just have a heart for older boats

Any thoughts? icon_confused

Edited by afvenom on Aug 25, 2017 - 04:47 AM.

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • Also, what is the status of The Nacra Company, I have heard they have no US manufacturing anymore, If I need factory parts, do I need to buy from Europe?

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • You will not need a boom as it is a boom less rig
  • I suggest you download the manual
    it will help
  • main - you can find a used or new one pretty easily these days (check classified)
    boom - see above - but even if you needed one, they are pretty easy to make from any alum extrusion
    daggar will be the hardest part to find - you will need to find a dead cat and get it, as no one is gonna sell 1 from a working boat - but there are probably 100's out there in that condition

i would search the classifieds and web and nacra groups and cat fleets

also nacrasailing (Todd Riccardi) from this site is the US nacra rep (i think) he can get you up to speed on availability of parts from your 34 year old (dead class) boat :)

Edited by MN3 on Aug 25, 2017 - 08:12 AM.
  • Ok, I just found the manual... yaay

I will get the boat and just hope I can find the Daggerboard, I can live with the old style rudders and just keep sail shopping until I find a used one or breakdown and buy a new one here:

http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/nacra-5-8-1/

I know this is an old, outdated heavy boat and I just want to get it seaworthy without really putting much into it, otherwise I will just buy a modern boat and be done with it, unfortunately I cannot store two boats.

Thanks for all the replies guys

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • afvenomOk, I just found the manual...
    Thanks for all the replies guys

Sent you a PM
  • afvenom, PM pbegel here on this site and see if he has the daggerboard you need. Pete has parts from NACRAs, Prindles and Tornadoes he is trying to get rid of.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Will do...

klozhaldafvenom, PM pbegel here on this site and see if he has the daggerboard you need. Pete has parts from NACRAs, Prindles and Tornadoes he is trying to get rid of.

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • Boards for these boats are rare. Rick Bliss at New England Catamarans may have one. MAY. The same applies to all older Nacra boats (pre-2006). Nacra U.S can chime in and correct me on that but right now Nacra is focused on the N17 Mk. 2 and thus pretty busy. Nacra is a european owned company now with offshore manufacturing and most final assembly is done in Europe but a strong U.S presence still exists.

BNR Watersports in Holland does have 5.8 parts in stock: https://bnrwatersport.com/catamaran-parts-nacra/catamaran-parts-nacra-5-8.html

Rudder systems are expensive. Don't buy a new one unless you have to. They may or may not be made anymore and Murrays and/or Rick may have parts.

The boat sounds like a deal just for the trailer but like I tell everyone, these are used race boats and race boat parts command race boat prices.
  • QuoteDon't buy a new one unless you have to. They may or may not be made anymore and Murrays and/or Rick may have parts.

ummm Rick who?

Surely not Rick White, he has passed and that "online store" is no longer
  • .Rick Bliss not Rick White

Edited by tnell on Aug 25, 2017 - 02:56 PM.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • samc99us

BNR Watersports in Holland does have 5.8 parts in stock: https://bnrwatersport.com/catamaran-parts-nacra/catamaran-parts-nacra-5-8.html

I just sent an email to BNR, it looks like they have everything I need... I cannot wait to see the price and SHIPPING.

Thanks,

Guys

And yes the trailer is steel but 90% mint and of a nice solid design

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • tnell.Rick Bliss

got it thanks - didnt see that originally
  • Check with member Pbegle Pete) in Big Bear, CA about parts. He seems to have a pretty good inventory. I replace my forestay, shrouds, diamonds and trap wires through Murrays Sports this year. All new stuff at 30% off during their rigging sale. They will have it again this winter. You can find a used set of sails, or have a new set made. If you go that route, it will be the most expensive part of the boat, but still less than the boat is worth. You will want a new trampoline, and Slo Sails makes some of the best fitting bias tramps out there.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I did not know about the rigging sale but I'm about to change mine out so that's good news!

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Yeah, absolutely, new rigging. Did those 20' rollers just show up out of nowhere!
    Hopefully you'll be able to find that board used somewhere. Otherwise, it's almost $800 plus shipping.
    I love my 5.8 NA. it kicks some serious A$$. Best of luck! Ray

--
    Nacra 5.8 NA &
    Nacra 4.5
    Hobie Wave sold
    '05 Getaway sold
    Hunter 216 traded
    Windrider 17sold
    Hobie 18 M sold
    Hobie 18, sold
    RS Vision sold
    "life's too short for slow boats"
    --
  • Use the other dagger for a pattern and carve one from mahogany. Or maybe a good opportunity for some 3D printing

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.