Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

WD-40  Bottom

• We've had some new stories of tang failures and wire/fitting failures along with some older failure stories that came up again.

Do any of you use wd40 on your parts to disperse water? As I understand it, that's what it's original purpose was, hence the "wd".

I have done this sometimes, but not always. I really don't know if it's considered a "best practice" or not.

I'm sure it's probably not real friendly to fiberglass, especially where it could penetrate around tangs and such.

Edited by tnell on Aug 06, 2017 - 09:45 PM.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Hmmm, I don't know, isn't wd40 a petroleum based product? May hurt things in the long run.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • wd40 is not petroleum based - i think it is actually fish oil based (but not sure if that is accurate)

It doubt will not hurt your gelcoat - but i also don't think it will do anything to avoid corrosion where it counts

tangs and stay anchors break where there is a lack of oxygen (at least for me) - every one of my tang / anchor failures (3 so far) has occurred where they are covered in glue/glass and no product could ever get inside to help

I think the best thing you can do is:
    wash your boat after use
    dry off and cover
    be pro active with your stays/ if you have a boat where the stay anchors are accessible, i would replace every few years
    inspect often and be prepared for a failure on 20+ year old boats
  • It's not really fish oil based, although that's a common belief. But for some strange reason my dogs like to lick it up. I sprayed some on a yard art windmill and they were all over the drippings. I'm sure it's not the best for them but what can you do?

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • tnellIt's not really fish oil based, although that's a common belief. But for some strange reason my dogs like to lick it up. I sprayed some on a yard art windmill and they were all over the drippings. I'm sure it's not the best for them but what can you do?

A quick google search confirm this - and despite what i had heard - it DOES contain petroleum

50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website claims this ratio in the current formulation cannot accurately be described as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[13]

https://wd40.com/cool-stu…s-legends-fun-facts#fish

Edited by MN3 on Aug 07, 2017 - 08:53 AM.
  • Yeah, MN3, that's what I looked at yesterday. I think some fishermen would swear to catching more fish with it though!

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • tnellYeah, MN3, that's what I looked at yesterday. I think some fishermen would swear to catching more fish with it though!

I JUST saw a website with 100's of uses for it
    they swore it was safe to consume, and use on all sorts of food items .... GLAD i didn't try any of them lol
  • tnell But for some strange reason my dogs like to lick it up. I sprayed some on a yard art windmill and they were all over the drippings. I'm sure it's not the best for them but what can you do?

Something about this has me LMAO. Thanks tnell.

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.