Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Supporting diamond-wire mast prior to stepping  Bottom

• Hi Guys,
    This may be obvious, but how do most folks support the mast once the base is pinned but before raising? I can't rest it on the rear beam due to the diamond wires in the way. Thanks.

Steve Zicree
  • I rest the mast of my 5.2 on a 5 foot step ladder placed a few feet behide the rear crossbar. The step ladder holds the mast high enough so that I can still rotate the mast while placing it over the ball. The diamond wires do not rest on the tramp. I raise my mast solo.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Wanderoo, is it on the trailer, or off?

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Thanks. I must be missing something though. Once my mast is turned sideways, I have to move the ladder approx twelve feet aft of the rear beam, otherwise the diamond wires are resting on the ladder. By the time the ladder is that far back, it needs to be about 7 feet tall to keep the wires off the rear beam.

Steve Zicree
  • On the trailer. I guess my trailer sits lower than yours. The Ladder is only 5 feet tall and allows diamond wire clearance. The ladder is back about 10 to 12 feet also. The trailer also sits a little higher near the front because of the Height of my vehicle hitch. I use a gin pole setup to lift the mast. A ladder of the correct height for your situation should do it. It isn't heavy and fits under the Nacra on the trailer.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Put a 6' human in your sail box (don't forget air holes and food)
    when stepping - just pull out the human and have them hold the back of the mast

Jk of course - the ladder is the answer to doing it solo
    shouldn't be too hard w crew - and i think 7' sounds about right (that's about what my hands can reach and i am fully extended when i help a pal with his nacra 5.7

you may be able to adjust your trailer to help
    make sure the cross bar (with rollers/cradles) is under the frame and your trailer will sit a little lower (than if it is ontop of the frame)

Edited by MN3 on Aug 07, 2017 - 11:18 AM.
  • We got a six foot seven guy around here but he doesn't show up much because he's busy running a website and reporting on cat races in Florida. He sure helped my 5'5" crew daughter once though

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Second person is generally the right answer. You can also raise the mast unpinned if you are careful. I typically do this as the pin holes on the Infusion base have a tendency to snap off if you get a little sideways with the base relative to the ball. Really its when you are lowering the mast you need the pin, as raising tends to keep pressure on the ball.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.