Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

30' Cat Opinions ?  Bottom

• There is a 30' Cat built here in my hometown with some interesting history. The center boards are not mid ship and the rudders run through the hull etc... Someone spent a great deal of time building and designing the boat as well as a major restoration. Was wondering what everyone thought of the design ?? https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/go-fast-catamaran-reduced/6235594180.html
  • I saw that ad before:
    looks nice
    probably did pretty well with it's original goal - be the fastest thing around in 1961

prob a great boat for someone (not me)

12' beam means you need special permits to move it on the road
  • expoguyThere is a 30' Cat built here in my hometown with some interesting history. The center boards are not mid ship and the rudders run through the hull etc... Someone spent a great deal of time building and designing the boat as well as a major restoration. Was wondering what everyone thought of the design ?? https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/go-fast-catamaran-reduced/6235594180.html

Sometimes thinking "outside the box" to solve a perceived problem works, sometimes it doesn't. Lots of odd things about that boat, would have to be onboard to see if any of it works.

Where is that radio station? looks like you have to crawl into the cabin to use it?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteWhere is that radio station? looks like you have to crawl into the cabin to use it?

companionway bulkhead
    https://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_e5LzMeFg3iP_600x450.jpg

You couldn't fit in there !!! lol
  • MN3
    QuoteWhere is that radio station? looks like you have to crawl into the cabin to use it?

companionway bulkhead
    https://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_e5LzMeFg3iP_600x450.jpg

You couldn't fit in there !!! lol

I couldn't tell if the picture was an optical illusion or the interior was specially built for members of the lollipop guild. icon_eek

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkousI couldn't tell if the picture was an optical illusion or the interior was specially built for members of the lollipop guild. icon_eek

whaaatt?
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9NaRFbpY1SI/hqdefault.jpg

It does look like crew would have to drop-tuck-and-roll to get to the head ... that may not work out well all the time!

Edited by MN3 on Jul 31, 2017 - 05:13 PM.
  • I've eye-balled that boat a few times on CL. Interesting solution... but water-locked without a custom-tilt trailer.

I looked at a 23'x13' Jones Brine Shrimp on Saturday, and had to pass. It was an interesting boat and a fun morning motoring about (sail rig was not ready) and I enjoyed rigging it up from the trailer (beams hinged in the middle) and someday, I'll probably own something similar... but for now, the H18 will do the trick.

If you're serious about mid-size cats (bigger than a beach cat, but smaller than a condo-maran), take a look at Richard Woods' designs: www.sailingcataramarans.com There are a range of solutions from beach-cat to bridge-cats, with a good cluster of open-deck cats in between. I don't have space in my life to build one (I'd rather be sailing!) but I'm keeping an eye peeled on the west coast for boats for sale. A Skua would fit nicely in my sideyard, and I'd love to do some coastal cruising / gunk-holing in ways for which my Hobie is an ill fit.

Randii

Edited by randii on Jul 31, 2017 - 03:15 PM.
  • They make amazing trailer-able trimarans that you can have a head, berth, kitchen, etc
    they are fast and fun and can be as high performance as any beach cat

farrier trimarans
    Corsair Sprint 750
    f28
    F31R - etc

all sizes available
  • I thought all of these same things and appreciate everyone's opinion. I will be looking into wings for my Prindle 18 Incase someone has any.
  • MN3They make amazing trailer-able trimarans that you can have a head, berth, kitchen, etc
    they are fast and fun and can be as high performance as any beach cat

Fair enough observation. I've been on a few of them at boatshows, a Dragonfly most recently, but Corsair/Farrier a few years back. To each their own, but I just don't find the layout to be that workable, though I definitely admire the Farrier folding setup! All the trimarans with weekend-able lodgings on board are just too big a dent in my retirement budget.

I like my toys more on the cheap, which is why I'm keeping my eyes open. In the meantime, the Hobie 18 scratches my go-fast-on-the-water itch well enough, even if it is just a day-tripper. Drive, rig, sail, down-rig, and drive in a day... I'd like to stay overnight but the local rules require an 'enclosed head.' That's sort of a side-issue, but kinda complementary in complexion when it comes to how I use the boat:
    - If I could find mast-up storage for a tolerable price, (current cost would be $1000 annually), I'd get a lot more use out of my H18 (shorter interval on either side of the fun, absent the commute).
    - The weekender sleep-over boat I'm looking for above is at least partially propelled by wanting to maximize the fun by camping on the water, and splitting up-rig/down-rig interval with a sleepover...
    That said, a weekend boat would be more palatable for coastal cruising the greater San Francisco Bay and estuaries. The H18 just isn't a good fit for that.

I don't know that I'll ever break the rig-in-under-a-half-hour mark on my own, but I can do it easily enough in an hour on each side of the water, coming and going. There's not many short-cuts available for just me, but I'm training various crew to assist...

Randii
  • QuoteI like my toys more on the cheap, which is why I'm keeping my eyes open. I

I posted an ad for sprint 750 for 36,000 - and i saw another ad for 30k

that's certainly a lot more than a 1980-1990's beach cat but not a ton for a boat like that

My good buddy just purchased a F31R - it is amazing - fast, huge, trailer to sailing in under an hour - but it's a whole lotta boat with big boat equipment (spin would cover my house, side stays cost about $1000 for a set)

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128492&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128496&g2_serialNumber=4
  • I definitely clicked through to see the Sprint 750... and that isn't that bad a price for a trailerable boat with that kind of speed capability. Larger cats do come up with some frequency here on Beachcats, generally on the West Coast, and within driving range (trailerability and a gas card stretch that pretty far), and I'm looking and watching. My H18 has wings (love 'em!) but I'm looking larger to overnight... hope to get inside a Stilleto and Warrior soonish to see how much of a coffin that feels like.

Randii

Edited by randii on Aug 01, 2017 - 11:50 AM.
  • This is an off topic suggestion, but the M32s look like a blast. Cubic dollars I suppose.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I own a Corsair F-242 as well as a Hobie Tiger and now an F-16 Blade. I have raced on a Sprint 750 and I am not sure how you can say the high end of the performance is the same. Great boats ... I love mine but when I want to go really fast, I am on one of the cats.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • dssaak I am not sure how you can say the high end of the performance is the same.

I didn't say they performed the same, i said they are just as high performance
    "they are fast and fun and can be as high performance as any beach cat"

Tell me these guys aren't just as high performance as any cat - including the Nacra17 olympic
    https://static.wixstatic.com/media/a979db_95f5e365b25b4907bf331822d9310a11~mv2_d_2098_1207_s_2.png/v1/fill/w_930,h_536,al_c,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/a979db_95f5e365b25b4907bf331822d9310a11~mv2_d_2098_1207_s_2.png

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/a979db_bc5b5542cc5b4dda8997bac0372e0df5~mv2.png/v1/fill/w_536,h_321,al_c,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/a979db_bc5b5542cc5b4dda8997bac0372e0df5~mv2.png
    The F31R i sail on is every bit as fast, and actually has a faster top end of a beach cat
  • Randii,
    I bought the Brine Shrimp Catamaran. I came to see it right after you did but I knew the boat from years past. I have owned several trimarans and always liked this cat. It does need some work but nothing major. The biggee was the leak around the daggerboard case. That 30 ft Cat would be a good one if the mini cabin could be reconstructed a bit taller. Of course it could be a bit wider as well.
  • Great to know that cat went to a good home... the price was great and what was there had a LOT of promise, I just couldn't add another project to the house, motorcycles, and 4x4 that are already in queue.

Post up pics when you get that Brine Shrimp rigged and back on the water. With the 18 rig that John had started to pull together, I think you're not far off after you attend to the dagger case, and wood/fiber is pretty easy to work. I have an older Hobie 18 sail which might look good on her (white with yellow and red, IIRC), but I suspect you'll be reviving the original sail suite, and just adding new hounds as needed to the Hobie aluminum stick.

Randii
  • MN3 "....and can be as high performance as any beach cat"

Tell me these guys aren't just as high performance as any cat - including the Nacra17 olympic

The F31R i sail on is every bit as fast, and actually has a faster top end of a beach cat

Nope, the data would beg to differ...

Fastest F-boat listed by USSA in the Portsmouth tables is a F-31R.
    D-PN: 61.9
    Wind ranges: 65.4, 64.1, 62.5, 59.9

The F-31R lines up pretty closely with the F-18, what is odd is that the D-PN for the F-18 is rated 0.5 slower than the F-31R, but the F-18 is equal at 0-1, but faster at all other wind speeds....

Regardless, there are several beach cats faster than the fastest F-boat; the CFR20 (which I sail on), the Nacra Carbon, Nacra 17, Tornado, M20, I20...

If you assume that Portsmouth is correct and try a simple correlation to SCHRS assuming that the 31R rates the same as an F-18, there are several boats faster on that list as well.

What the F-31R has over the beach cats is the ability to sustain higher average speeds over a long period; waterline pays, but I bet the Tornado, CFR20, Nacra Carbon and 17 all have higher top speeds.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.