Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

G-Cat Sail Boomless Modifications / Advice  Bottom

• I (meaning my family) have been thinking about (meaning breaking my chops) going boomless. To me it does not seem like it should be a difficult transition. I have the 5.0 and have looked at the 5.7 setup. The sail seems very similar to the 5.7. I have even spoken with Hans (the boat designer) and he said with the sail I have it should be as easy as adding some reinforcing material and the clew plate. I have been to the local sail lofts and so far they all insist it will take serious sail modification and cost $500-$800? I can get a new sail for that money!
    Does anyone have any ideas or know of a place that will do this? I am on Long Island but it does not have to be local as I am willing to ship the sail out after the season is over.
  • You could get some sail material from an old sail and have any commercial upholstery or awning company sew in some reinforcement. Since it's not anything really regarding sail shape they should be able to handle it. It would be nice/needed to have a multi hole clew plate and batten at the foot of the sail but start with the reinforcement and go from there. I tore out the material near a jib clew plate out of town once, had it repaired/reinforced by a marine upholstery place with no sail expierence, it was less than $100, used it for another season and I still have the sail as a spare.

Edited by jalex on Jul 28, 2017 - 11:17 PM.
  • Thanks. There is a lower batten already. I just need the reinforcement and flew plate. I have found plenty of flew plates online. I actually have a marine upholstery shop down the block. I don't have any old sail though.
  • If you can get a new main sail for $500 I would buy it
    I would expect he cost to be around $1000
  • I know the sailstore has them for the 5.0 around $600, $200 extra for the heavy duty. I am assuming that is for the 5.0 boom rig, so you would be at $600 plus whatever mods they need to do to get it boomless and then shipping so I think the $1000 is about right. If your current sail is in good shape I don't think the mods would be very expensive, $500 sounds like a lot. Getting some cat sail material or similar for the reinforcement is easy enough, if you are trying to keep it on the super cheap I could mail you some, I have some H16 sails I have already robbed for some patches.
  • My current sails are original and in great shape, nice and crisp, look lightly used. The colors are interesting but not really a concern. I do have another question, how does a boomless setup control mast rotation?

Jalex that would be great. Please let me know what you have and I can send you money. Thanks.

Edited by woofman on Jul 31, 2017 - 09:33 AM.
  • Oops

Edited by woofman on Jul 31, 2017 - 09:34 AM.
  • QuoteI do have another question, how does a boomless setup control mast rotation?

couple options

first - do nothing, let your main and it's clew plate push your sail/mast over:
    your mast will rotate but you do lose a pretty powerful tuning device (esp for depowering)

or you can put a positive (forward) rotation arm and add some eye-straps, turning blocks, lines and cleats. this way you can limit mast rotation to depower or set it for optimal leading edge angle for speed

the main problem with this system is
    a. the cost
    b. drilling your beams for eyestraps and blocks,

or the biggie

c. if you forget to uncleat your system pre-tack ... you are gonna put some crazy torque on your mast (twisting the top but not the bottom) and you risk some gear failure (hopefully a cleat or block rips off, but could be much worse and expensive)
  • Thanks. With the forward system would I be able to just set a max rotation limit for each tack and leave it, only adjusting when desired?
    Also how much de-powering does limiting mast rotation provide?

Edited by woofman on Jul 31, 2017 - 12:42 PM.
  • woofmanThanks. With the forward system would I be able to just set a max rotation limit for each tack and leave it, only adjusting when desired?

With it forward - it doesn't set to max rotation - you force it to stay at a certain point - it can't center itself after it's set & won't wobble or move without a serious wind or course shift - so yes you set it and forget it - but don't forget to un-set it pre-tack/gybe

QuoteAlso how much de-powering does limiting mast rotation provide?

How much? a lot
    modern rigs have rotating masts, old rigs didn't

many if not most mono-slugs have non rotating masts - racing mono's have rotating masts

the first thing i do when i get overpowered is to downhaul (only cause it's typically handy) and then as soon as i can: i pull the snot out of my mast rotation limiter (on the boom)

This reduces the angle of the all important leading edge angle and is a very powerful tool to depower in upwind conditions
  • Happy to send some material, no payment necessary, if you find it useful you are welcome to make a donation to this site.
  • jalexHappy to send some material, no payment necessary, if you find it useful you are welcome to make a donation to this site.

That would be awesome. I will make a donation either way. I will PM my information. Thanks.
  • QuoteI just need the reinforcement and flew plate. I have found plenty of flew plates online

CLEW plate :)

the 3 corners of a sail are

Head

tack (front) ---- clew (aft)

Edited by MN3 on Aug 01, 2017 - 07:33 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.