Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cat Trax dolly  Bottom

• Thinking of buying this 2nd hand dolly (pic in the link) for my cats, but tires look too low profile for a soft beach. Are they old-style wheels i.e. is this an old Cat Trax dolly? Pics on the web show much higher profile tires. The bearings make a rumbling nose when the wheels spin, don't sound like Teflon or similar. Any advice? I live in South Africa, so shipping spares is a problem. Thanks.
    https://www.gumtree.co.za…002028641840910001729309
  • Those look like the real Mcoy. I don't have experience in soft sand, other will give you good advice. I use a set only for moving my cats around the lawn, but I did dissect them, they are very simple, & hard to emulate for any less money.
    They shouldn't "rumble", BUT, the simplicity makes the cure easy, & cheap. You may need only to knock off the end caps,(grease them when you re-assemble), & clean out the bearings & wheel bore.
    See my album here;
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=119871

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 14, 2017 - 01:57 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Those are the good ones. Easy enough to disassemble and clean. Grease might trap dirt, so I think they run dry. If the plastic needle bearings are damaged, you could buy some plastic rod (nylon or delrin most likely) anywhere and cut new ones.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Much appreciated guys!
  • If you find the tires do not hold air you can put the correct size inter tubes in them. That is what I did with one of mine a couple of years back. They are still going strong.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • QuoteGrease might trap dirt, so I think they run dry.

Yes, grease in the bearings would be a disaster in sand. The bearings run dry.
    I meant a little bit of grease inside the end caps before you knock them into place. Otherwise they can be very difficult to remove, you end up breaking them.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • seanhobieThinking of buying this 2nd hand dolly (pic in the link) for my cats, but tires look too low profile for a soft beach.

You want low profile and low air pressure for the sand. The wider the tire the better. The height just gives you a slightly better angle as you push up a grade from the water.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • So, I'm wondering what the optimal air pressure should be for rolling over beach sand? My cat trax tires are pretty well full of air right now. Going to the coast in a few weeks and do plan on using them at the beach for sure.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Quote The height just gives you a slightly better angle as you push up a grade from the water.

and clearance over rocks and other "stuff"
  • martyrSo, I'm wondering what the optimal air pressure should be for rolling over beach sand? My cat trax tires are pretty well full of air right now. Going to the coast in a few weeks and do plan on using them at the beach for sure.

I fill mine till it makes a deep thump when i punch it -
    then i re-fill it about 3 or 4 years later when i remember it's a little low :)

silly but true

psi defiantly makes a difference, but for pushing a few hundred pounds around a beach, it's not a big enough deal for me to worry about it

i have had leaky tires before that needed regular air
    it really didn't seem to make much difference to me unless it was almost flat, then it sucked x40

i find if i take my main and blocks off the boat, i can push my 500lbs up the beach solo without killing myself -
  • There have been a few times where I have had to go over 6 inch curbs. I found it was harder to pull my cat over the curb when the tires were fully inflated (10lbs) than it was going over the same curb with them inflated to 7lbs.

I frequently use two sets of cat trax to move my boat around. When I use two sets I position them under each cross bar. To turn the boat I just push down on the front hulls and it raises the back set of wheels off the ground and then I can pivot the boat in the direction I want to go.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • I guess that pushing the boat around in my back yard, which is all grass, I can have the tires pretty much fully inflated, but pushing around through soft sugary coastal beach sand, I should probably let some air out of the tires. Makes sense to me anyway.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.