Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

ALOHA! New Member Here  Bottom

• Permission to come aboard? icon_wink

Thought I would follow protocol and formally say "Howzit" from the windward side of the island of Oahu.

It's a great place to grew up, if you enjoy boating, fishing, diving and bodysurfing. I only started sailing about 7 years ago in Kailua and Kaneohe Bays. (Yes, I'm a lucky SOB. But it don't come cheap).

Up till recently, I successfully employed the "having lots of friends w/boats" strategy. I got to spend quality time on various powerboats, monohulls, trimarans and cats. This year I picked up a Prindle 18 of my own and have been getting to know her.

I could use your experience and advice to help me become a better, safer beachcat sailor. Particularly where Prindles are concerned. Thanks in advance. I'll contribute where I can,.

Feels good to stop lurking and meet Y'all. Looking forward to the give and take.

Edited by nohuhu on Jul 08, 2017 - 09:42 AM.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Welcome to TheBeachCats.

What is the average wind speed on the windward side of the island?
    How big are the swells?

Greg

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • Howzit Greg!

We average NE Tradewinds, 15-20 mph. Gusts to 25. Small craft advisories every day, somewhere.

I don't mind bigger wind days, cuz it's our air conditioning here, (slack winds are miserable).

Most cat sailing is in the sheltered bays, with 4-6'+ ocean swell just outside the reefs. Channels between the islands can become washing machines with 18' swells. Outriggers manage to paddle this. Sailing open water off Waikiki is awesome though, until you pass diamond head. Experience this on one of the 50' speedcat tours if you ever get the chance!

I'm interested in hearing about your prindle wings. Have you created a thread or album about them?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Howzit Nohuhu!

I actually know what your name means! My wife and I recently relocated from Hawaii to the North Carolina coast. She's a native Kailua girl (actually from Waimanalo, so -real- local!) and I sailed K-bay tons! Back then I only sailed keel boats so had to stick to the channels in and out of the bay, but a cat would have been mo betta! Jealous of the awesome sailing and water you have, wish I could afford to move back home.

Aloha,

Paul
  • Aloha No Ho'oKahunaNui! ;) The Mrs's must be homesick.

This may bring back memories,.. Of Coconut Island (The original Gilligan's Isle, for those old enough to know it).

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128335&g2_serialNumber=3

Yesterday was classic conditions.

What are you sailing now?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • QuoteAloha No Ho'oKahunaNui! ;) The Mrs's must be homesick.

I think I miss it more than she does. What I miss most is the kau kau. I was back in April and got all my favorite grinds!

QuoteThis may bring back memories,.. Of Coconut Island (The original Gilligan's Isle, for those old enough to know it).

I raced with some guys out of KYC for a while during the 80's and 90's. Awesome place.

QuoteYesterday was classic conditions.

I miss it. I've heard that the trades aren't as strong or consistent as they used to be.

QuoteWhat are you sailing now?

Nothing yet. Had monohulls before but here on the Outer Banks of North Carolina is all shallow water. Even the ocean is pretty shallow (it can be 10 feet deep 12 miles offshore!). So a multihull is in my future. Just not sure what I'm going to get.
  • nohuhuI could use your experience and advice to help me become a better, safer beachcat sailor. Particularly where Prindles are concerned.

Welcome aboard, and fire away.
    There is a strong Prindle community here.
    Your P 18 is a sturdy steed, and relatively simple to maintain.
    I'm headed off to pau hana.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Kahuna, I've played on some of the Cal 20s and Capris on KBay. Perfect for sandbar activity, if you can drop your anchor and crew at EXACTLY the right time. icon_lol You probably know what I mean.

There are 1-2 KYC races every week, and we all manage to share the bay amicably. There are a couple skippers with 40 footers that I would be scared to race with though. I've followed them as they have full speed dogfights through the reefs around Coconut Isle and almost take out each others masts.. icon_eek The Transpac race ends here at Oahu this week BTW.

Winds? If anything, the Trades seem to have kicked up over the last year. That might be our climate change trend. They can go slack and turn in circles for weeks, if we get caught between major storms/hurricanes though.

Hope you find a lightly used cat at a great price. (Like a forgotten, garaged lake boat). I would really recommend a Prindle 18-2 if you are going out with crew. It's a fast and well-mannered boat.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Ahoy Bob! And Mahalo. Out here on the rock, it's a Hobie world and there are few parts or resources for Prindles.

I still love skippering and crewing on other boats, but I picked up the P-18 with the intention of learning to single-hand it and sail whenever opportunity knocks. (Still sails great with a crew of 3, BTW). I'm sure to learn lots of repair techniques along the way too. Already started that.. icon_rolleyes

One thing I would really like to know; how is it someone like you is only a "Mate" at this site? Doesn't seem right.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuOne thing I would really like to know; how is it someone like you is only a "Mate" at this site? Doesn't seem right.

Considering that I started out as a Bilge Rat, I have come a long way. icon_cool
    I am due for a promotion soon, though.

From Damon, the Admin of thebeachcats.com:

Just as in the armed services, rank is achieved through effort. In the case of our forum, that effort consists mainly of posting and answering posts. As you participate in the forums you move through the ranks.

Up to 99 posts = Lubber
    100 - 999 posts = Mate
    1,000 - 2,999 posts = Chief
    3,000 – 9,999 posts = Master Chief
    10,000 - 99,999 posts = Captain
    100,000 and above = Admiral

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • hail icon_cool

Edited by nohuhu on Jul 12, 2017 - 03:32 PM.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhu hail icon_cool Edited by nohuhu on Jul 12, 2017 - 03:32 PM.

Your animated gif is hysterical!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • nohuhu

You asked about the wings on my P-18. They are one of the few Prindle factory wings. I was told so this is pure hearse that Prindle had only made a small number of them and when NACRA bought Prindle and NACRA did not make any.

I will make a photo album of the wings in the near future.

A friend of mine has a P18-2 and his wife wants him to put wings on it. We looked a Hobie Gateway that is near us and it looks to be an easy conversion. The cross bars on the gateway are farther apart so he was going to shorten the seat to get the arms to line up with his cross bars. When his wife saw that the wing seat was hard and not mesh she told him to fabricate some wings. He owns a business that does refits on cruise ships so he has all the knowledge and equipment to do so. He really doesn't want wings so he has been dragging his feet on the wings. I have been told by a couple of people who have gateways that they find the hard wing comfortable. I am sure it is because they are always moving about and not sitting in one spot for a long period of time.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • Love to see it, Greg. At least we'll learn what the "original" design was.

We have an P18 and 18-2 here that we would consider putting some sort of low profile wings on, particularly if they could be removed for racing.

--
    Prindle 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.