Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

A Class sail on a Nacra 5.2?  Bottom

• Hi,

I am considering converting a square top A class main for use on my Nacra 5.2 to replace the worn factory pin top. Here in Western Australia there are no used Nacra (or many other) sails and a new sail here (or shipping one in from the US) is very expensive; I only use the Nacra for fun, and this used A Class sail is really cheap.

Anyway, the A sail luff is about 60cm (2 ft) too long so I was thinking of cutting the head of the sail off around the top batton pocket, having some reinforcement sewn on and riveting the headboard back on, thus shorting the luff (and maybe angle the top of the leech back towards the head at the same rake of the original head).

OK so we all know this isn't the technically correct way of designing a sail and its not going to match a replacement from Whirlwind, but will it fundamentally work ok or is it a really bad idea thats going to totally mess up the behavior of the sail by changing the head this way and not worth bothering with? I thought about taking the length off at the foot but the foot is a little shorter than the factory sail so the clew is only just going to reach the out haul track on the boom as is, if I move the foot up then the new foot will be even shorter and not reach, plus I presume there is less work in moving the head down than the foot up.

Anthony

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.