Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailering with Dagger boards inserted?  Bottom

• Does anyone trailer with the daggerboards inserted ( but up of course icon_eek )? Looking for ways to shorten set up Time at the water. Too risky?

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Wow, sounds like a hell of a lot of risk for pretty minimal reward.

If it takes you more than 60 seconds to put your daggerboards in, you're doing something wrong. It's going to take you a heck of a lot longer than that to repair the board (and boat?) if one slips down while driving. Yes, I would say much too risky.

sm
  • DogboyWow, sounds like a hell of a lot of risk for pretty minimal reward.

If it takes you more than 60 seconds to put your daggerboards in, you're doing something wrong. It's going to take you a heck of a lot longer than that to repair the board (and boat?) if one slips down while driving. Yes, I would say much too risky.

sm

Yeah, thats what I thought too. But after a couple of beers while sitting in the Barcolounger it sounded doable lol. But hey, it would keep the drifting to a minimum when speeding around those curves. icon_biggrin

Edited by wanderoo222 on Jun 19, 2017 - 09:00 PM.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • You can always raise your trailer cross bars enough so that if the daggerboards will not hit, if they fell. May even get less road grime on the hulls too. May need some steps to get onto the tramp. But the steps will probably be on the wrong side of the boat. So set up two sets of steps. Oh that may take as long as putting in the daggerboards. Never mind I think I will have another beer.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • I wouldn't drive with the daggerboards inserted but I'm interested in easier ways to store them for trailering. I would assume that Wanderoo222 doesn't have a sail box to through them in, as in my case.

I wrap the daggerboards and rudders together with the boat cover, then I tie the package to the tramp. It's pretty heavy and I take more than I would like to tie it in securely.
  • AndinistaI wouldn't drive with the daggerboards inserted but I'm interested in easier ways to store them for trailering. I would assume that Wanderoo222 doesn't have a sail box to through them in, as in my case.

I wrap the daggerboards and rudders together with the boat cover, then I tie the package to the tramp. It's pretty heavy and I take more than I would like to tie it in securely.

No, no sailbox. I also wrap them and lash them down on the tramp. Probably should invest in a sailbox.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • the more items you can leave secured to the deck, the less you have to unpack
    BUT you have to clean and cover everything (at least hear on the face of the sun aka tampa) or you will greatly reduce the lifespan of your gear

I have just killed a pair of 4 year old castings by not taking enough time to clean the salt buildup out of them with regular and deep cleaning:

the new pair were dissembled, swapped the SS rivet out to alum to match the castings, and liberally applied tef-gel everywhere
  • MN3the more items you can leave secured to the deck, the less you have to unpack
    BUT you have to clean and cover everything (at least hear on the face of the sun aka tampa) or you will greatly reduce the lifespan of your gear

I have just killed a pair of 4 year old castings by not taking enough time to clean the salt buildup out of them with regular and deep cleaning:

the new pair were dissembled, swapped the SS rivet out to alum to match the castings, and liberally applied tef-gel everywhere

Cleaning and preparing for winter storage at home isn't a problem, time near the water is the critical thing, especially if wife has a tendency to ask why you are taking so long..
  • It's really about pride, more than time on water.. right?
  • If you don't have a trailer box, why not just throw the boards in your car? It's a heck of a lot faster and more secure than tying them to the tramp.

Otherwise an investment in a boat box is the way to go. You can make one out of wood for about 100 bucks or buy a fiberglass or aluminum one that will last the life of your boat. In either case, the convenience is well worth the cost. Plus the trailer box will about pay for itself in the money you save by not destroying your daggerboards from trailering them installed in the boat.

sm
  • QuoteIf you don't have a trailer box, why not just throw the boards in your car? It's a heck of a lot faster and more secure than tying them to the tramp.

i don't need storage for my boards but on occasion i tie my rudders to the tramp/hiking straps
    this is actually a better spot than my sailbox for a few reasons:
    1 they will get washed off with fresh water when i wash the boat on sunday afternoon
    2 they will not get scratched (from the nuts/bolts that are part of the castings / nor will they get scratched up on tiller extension or other inside the box
    3 reduce rigging time (by 2 min max) since they are all ready at the boat
  • On my last trip I used a snowboard bag for rudders and daggerboards, that was easier to tie to the tramp straps, also better protection for the tramp. Still heavy and still need to wrap the boards with something to avoid scratching. The package is too big for the car, if I'm trailering the boat the car is likely full of bags and coolers. I don't keep the package there afterwards, it's just for trailering.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.