Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What's the point of the jib pigtail leads on the 5.2?  Bottom

• I'm replacing the jib sheets on a 5.2. Thought I might eliminate them to make the rigging less complicated. Are they necessary to properly adjust the jib under sail?

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Strictly speaking, they are not necessary at all. Howeever, for every foot of pigtail, you save four feet of sheet.
    You basically have 4 lines running to/from the jib clew. If you use an 18" pigtail on each jib block, you can shorten your jib sheet by six feet.
    Usually the pigtail is a much thinner/lighter line, so in very light winds it doesn't pull the sail down as much.
    There is a limit to how long you can make the pigtail, to long & the block will hit your ratcheting cleat before you get the sail trimmed.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I find that if I don't have at least a short pigtail the 2 blocks's tend to interfere with each other. I just use about a foot for each.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Ditto Wolfman's comment above on the why.

I run a Nacra 5.0 which uses the same jib as the 5.2. In getting to know the 5.0 over the last two years I found that a 2:1 jib sheet system is just not necessary even in a blow. I run mine 1:1 all the time with the advantage Wolfman pointed out of less line length (to have to go through when you tack/jibe), weight etc.. I use New England 5/16" Sta-Set for my sheet and am very happy with it, crew loves it too.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • You'd be hard-pressed to find a jib system on a beach cat that wouldn't benefit from pigtail leads, as long as they do not two-block with your Barber Hauler.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • leeboweffectDitto Wolfman's comment above on the why.

I run a Nacra 5.0 which uses the same jib as the 5.2. In getting to know the 5.0 over the last two years I found that a 2:1 jib sheet system is just not necessary even in a blow. I run mine 1:1 all the time with the advantage Wolfman pointed out of less line length (to have to go through when you tack/jibe), weight etc.. I use New England 5/16" Sta-Set for my sheet and am very happy with it, crew loves it too.

I like the Idea of a 1:1 jib system. I have issues with the pigtale blocks hanging up on the bungies that are supposed to keep them clear of the mast. do u have any pics of ur jib system?

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Quote Thought I might eliminate them to make the rigging less complicated. Are they necessary to properly adjust the jib under sail?

Most catamars have an overlapping jib (goes past the mast). jib blocks can get hung up in spreaders and other items on the mast - pig tails help the sail get "through" the mast area without getting hung up (usually)

QuoteI like the Idea of a 1:1 jib system. I have issues with the pigtale blocks hanging up on the bungies that are supposed to keep them clear of the mast. do u have any pics of ur jib system?

I'd guess your pigtail is too long if this is happening

QuoteI found that a 2:1 jib sheet system is just not necessary even in a blow. I run mine 1:1

I was told long ago that we use this 2:1 system not for the mechanical advantage but for another reason: i can't for the life of me think what that reason is at the moment

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.