Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 restoration, daggerboard tension issues  Bottom

• Hi Nacra sages, restoring a 1976 Nacra 5.2 and am having issues getting the daggerboards to stay put where I want them. In general the holes for the daggerboards are too large width wise, and the roller tension pieces (which I fabricated) are insufficient to hold the daggerboards.

At this point I'm a bit frustrated but not beaten. Looking over the beachcat site here's where I going next. I would appreciate any input before I go too far down the line:

Ideas
    (1) I saw a hobie 20 video where the daggerboards are tension-ed with a bunge from the top to an eyelet on the front hull. Essentially creates a forward-aft tension. This works pretty good but not ideal for the crew member. This is my plan for single handing...

(2) Nacra standard roller tension-er. Apparently I didn't make it right or can't get enough tension on it to make it work reliably. Maybe I'll try again after the attempts below. I have a single eyelet on the tramp extrusion. Perhaps I should use rope and two eyelets? Not sure how to tension rope. Ideas? See link below for pic.

(3) I read something about 'carpet' in the daggerboard slots. I think I'll get some outdoor carpet, short strand, and line the slots on each side to minimize sideways movement, then try my roller tension-er again. Should cut down on the scoring of the boards no?

(4) I bought a Hobie tension-er which is a slotted rubber piece that is installed against the daggerboard. I haven't put this on yet because the tolerance next to the slot is too small. I need to build up the material around the slot to get good install. Maybe after the carpet experiment I'll return to this?

So, any good ideas Nacra sailors? Much much appreciated. Here's a picture from RadDezigns rebuild just to provide a picture of what is apparently a working solution.

http://www.radesignz.com/…ing/08/redo/IMG_2582.jpg

Sorry, haven't filled out my profile yet. Need to figure that out next.
    Regards, Piatro

--
    Piatro

Nacra 5.2 ("HazCat" 1976)
    Nacra 5.5 ("Crazy Horse" 1989)

Colorado
    --
  • The setup in your picture is the preferred arrangement. The eyelets in the tramp are where you can bring the the bungee through and either knot it below the tramp or use hog rings. The advantage to a knot is some adjustability because these do need to be pretty tight.

I made my own black foam pad using copper pipe insulation and inserted a 3/4" pvc pipe through it, but before doing that I saw kerfed the pvc about 1/2 through so it would bend and conform better to the shape of the daggerboard.

If you have enough tension on this setup it holds the board really well and they don't bang around in the trunk.

The original setup for a boat of your build year was to have the bungee go forward to a hook forward of the main beam. This worked, but the bungee is often in the way and the boards bang around in the trunk.

What is your sail #? My 1976 boat is #400

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • the carpet is also required, in the lower part of the slot
  • QuoteThe original setup for a boat of your build year was to have the bungee go forward to a hook forward of the main beam

Yes, the hooks are still there in the photo.
    Does anyone know if people have used that side loader system on the H18 boards?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I think the hooks forward of the trampoline on the hulls work fine. It took a few tries to get the tension right, but after that I have not had any issues.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Quotethe carpet is also required, in the lower part of the slot

Andinista can you provide an image of how you installed the carpet. Or just describe the dimensions, thickness and what you used to adhere it?

I haven't installed the carpet yet, but have some indoor/outdoor stuff that might work.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Nice quick response, gotta love this forum! Thank you all for your great input.

(1) Yeah, made my own tension-ers exactly the same as you described although I used rubber hose from hardware store. I have some of the softer foam which didn't make a difference for me. Clearly I don't have enuf tension.
    I'll see about adding a second eyelet although I haven't see this type for sale on any website. The sideview of this eyelet looks like a 'P' with the rivet going through the stem. Q: Any ideas on where I could purchase a few more? I probably am not searching the correct name of such. Not sure my tramp has grommets in correct place. Guess I could always put a few in.

(2) My hull number: TRRC00650276 (or perhaps TRR000650276). Not sure how to read the code. My sail is 1083 but could easily not be original. I bought it from guy in Tampa last year. It was in rough shape but coming together nicely if I say so myself.

(3) Currently fixing the rear strap pull-out on hull that is so common on these early Nacras, then back to the slots. Also struggling a bit with the 'cooler'. You have one of those on This Side Up? For now I put in a new o-ring and a bungee inside holding the lid down. That'll get me through the season hopefully. I guess in 1976 you needed a place to keep the beers cold while sailing :)

(4) I think I'll try the contact cement or the stuff one installs indoor/outdoor carpet with should adhere. Thin line at top and bottom with oversized piece. Once dry I'll trim it with blade. I'll update this thread once I try it out.

(5) Any suggestions for ordering Vinyl graphics online?

Thanks all, much appreciated.

--
    Piatro

Colorado
    --
  • Hey Piatro,

You're on the right track. Nacra upgraded ALL boats with daggerboards to a better side loader system, and it works perfect. The two parts needed are part #1019 eye strap and part #1034 hammock hook. From your picture, looks like you might already have the eye strap. Make a loop of 1/4" bungee by threading it through the strap eye and hog ring it to form a loop. Thread the bungee loop through the side loader tube placing the hog ring inside the side loader tube. Then hog ring near the eye strap which locks that side in. On the other end, place hog rings one inch from the end of the bungee while it is folded at its longest length. Then add a couple more hog rings placed one inch apart. This allows you to change the tension of the load on the fly, by slipping the bungee over the hammock hook with the multiple choices of tension you desire. Again, Nacra system that works flawlessly.

Let me know if a pic will help

--
    Philip
    --
  • If he doesn't need the picture, I do. I want to see how your setup differs from mine.

Piatro, I think your boat is a little older than mine. Your original sail would be 65 and been made in February of 1976. I did a bunch of video last summer on my rebuild if you want to see that and there are a lot of images in my technical folder.

https://www.thebeachcats.…187d59b3f74e030e1af444c3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8i7dEBBFE4

When you glass up the the strap crack remember to put some grease on a bolt and install it before you start any glass work and then just glass around the bolt. With the grease on the bolt it will back out when you are ready to remove it. Try to keep any of your glass out of the cradle for the beam (I didn't the first time and that caused problems down the road).

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • hey P.M.. I also would like to see a pic of Your setup . Thanks

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Here are some pics. This should help clear up the above description.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…7305f5f5c10d2b88000c6802

https://www.thebeachcats.…3d156d1b060dc7db07fe2300

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128023&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=39a2a3ba81a93c34f6ce5762c2595979

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128027&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=bee8262ab3157b49daecc2fdeb72c44a

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteHere are some pics.

Do you know if a similar setup would work on a Hobie 18?
    I like this better than the bungee to the hole in the lip that is standard.
    The 18 uses pretty wide boards, I was thinking that some sort of spacer, to hold the roller tube up a couple of inches would create a lever & better able to keep the board in place.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Here's the result of the great advice I received on this post from P.M. and dmgbear, by the way loved the videos of redo of "This Side Up". Its comforting to know that I'm not the only one toiling away in my garage on a dream.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=128079
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=128082
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=128085

Now, what am I going to do with that beer cooler near the transom? Wait for THAT post!

--
    Piatro

Colorado
    --
  • Oh, and in those pics, you can see the 'cracks' in the slots. I'll do a better job on that probably next winter... for now gotta get in the water. There's some silicon on the inside of the hulls near the cracks. Somebody who owned this boat before I loved to use the silicon and seems to think of it as glue. I just scraped off a ton of the stuff on the cross-member and hull slot.

--
    Piatro

Colorado
    --
  • ON my 5.2 I just use carpet glued into the wells. No side loader, no front tension-er. Works great, cleans up the deck and less weight. Keep it simple.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.